security-services message

Subject: RE: [security-services] Groups - SAML shared credential (draft-saml-shared-credential-discussion-01.doc) uploaded

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I am still
unhappy conceptually with this, but I have been unable to find any
practical alternative.

> > I believe that the underlying concept that is important is the
notion of
> > an "Accountable Identity". Sometimes this will be an organization or
> > group, sometimes it will be an individual. One common case is that a
> > composite identity (shared identity if you will) is sufficient for
> > Authorization decisions, but an accountable identity is required for
> > Audit trail. In other cases, such as the usecase cited, it may be
> > necessary to obtain the accountable identity before acting on a
request.

> I don't see 'accountability' as the distinguishing feature, a
collective
> identity could well be accountable. If somebody uses my home phone to
> make long distance calls then I'm on the hook for paying because my
> 'guest' authenticated with the phone

That is exactly my point. I believe in your usecase, you want a new
authentication done not because the first identity is a collective
identity, but because it is not an accountable one.

> > I feel strongly that that this property of being or not being an
> > accountable identity is an abstract property of the identity and is
not
> > related to an authentication act. Naturally the Issuing Party will
use a
> > policy for distributing passwords or keys that corresponds to its
notion
> > of the type of identity in question. In short, I see this property
as
> > just another attribute of the subject.
> >
> > This brings me to my proposed approach. Why not use an attribute
> > statement to indicate the Issuing Party's belief about the type of
> > identity it is? (or course nobody can prevent you from sharing your
> > password with your friend) Then we should be able to use existing
> > machinery, such as an attribute query to say, I need the accountable
> > identity that is associated with this request, here is the composite
> > identity.
> >
> the issue we've hit when we considered this mechanism is the syntax by
> which the SP indicates that it wishes to jump from an attribute
> statement to an authnstatement. I don;t see this in what SAML
currently
> provides.

Yes, after some study I take your point. Your approach seems to be the
best given the available mechanisms.

Hal

by email and then delete it.