security-services message

Subject: SAML V2.0 Deployment Profiles for X.509 Subjects

I've uploaded a new document set (ODG, ODT, PDF, XSD) entitled SAML
V2.0 Deployment Profiles for X.509 Subjects (Draft 01).  This new set
of documents supersedes the document set entitled SAML V2.0 Profiles
for X.509 Subjects (Draft 11), which was previously withdrawn.

The SAML V2.0 Deployment Profiles for X.509 Subjects actually contains
three related deployment profiles:

1. X.509 SAML Subject Deployment Profile
2. SAML Attribute Query Deployment Profile for X.509 Subjects
3. SAML Attribute Self-Query Deployment Profile for X.509 Subjects

The latter is a straightforward, but separate, extension of the
Attribute Query Deployment Profile.  Both depend on the X.509 SAML
Subject Deployment Profile.

Given earlier discussion we've had regarding similar profiles based on
X.509 authentication, there are at least two portions of the document
that require close scrutiny:

- The X.509 SAML Subject Deployment Profile requires that the NameID
satisfy RFC 2253.

- The metadata bits in sections 3 and 4 have been substantially
rewritten. There are still substantial metadata requirements but the
use of newly profiled XML attributes is strictly OPTIONAL.

I've trimmed the Editor and Contributor lists, and started from
scratch, but I'm not entirely comfortable with this.  The overlap
between this deployment profile and the SAML V2.0 Attribute Sharing
Profile for X.509 Authentication-Based Systems is substantial, which
argues for an expanded contributor list, but then there would be
little to distinguish this deployment profile from earlier work.
Suggestions?

Since there's no precedent for so-called deployment profiles, I'm not
sure if I've hit or missed the mark.  At any rate, your comments are
appreciated.

Tom Scavo
NCSA/University of Illinois