soa-rm message

Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Groups - Rough notes taken during the last ebSOA meeting. (ebSOA-Elements.pdf) uploaded

<Quote>
Is that passing the semantic buck? No, because a task can be further
broken down to an action and an effect: the effect of performing the
action is often also the reason for invoking the service.
</Quote>

This sounds very much like the model that OWL-S (Semantic Web Services)
is using, which is a good thing: IOPE, or
Input/Output/Preconditions/Effects.

For example, if a book is purchased via a Web Service using a credit
card after having been discovered through browsing, we would have:

- Input: All of the obvious information (quantity, ISBN, purchaser
name/address, credit card #, etc.);

- Output: A confirmation of purchase (or error message as applicable);

- Preconditions: Credit card must be valid, book must be in stock, etc.

- Effects: Credit card is charged the amount, inventory of that book is
decreased by quantity purchased, etc.

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton