soa-rm message

Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Re: Autonomous Services?

Folks - -

On my way home from N'awlins Wed night, I had a thought on this
discussion.

I think we expect services in an SOA to be independent of the kind of
shared contextual knowledge we usually presume within a local computing
environment. We expect that the requesting service will be able to
obtain all the info it needs to use the responding service successfully
by processing the responding service's description metadata.  I do think
this is a core characteristic of SOA services.

I'm not suggesting we reinstate the use of the word "autonomous" as a
handle for this concept since it demonstrably caused confusion at the
f2f.  If we need a handle, perhaps "self-sufficient" or
"self-documenting" or "introspective" (naaah - forget that one.)

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 12:43 PM
To: john@crossconnections.ws
Cc: ebSOA OASIS TC; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm] Re: Autonomous Services?

We discussed and the submitter withdrew the submission pending
clarification on exactly what is meant by Autonomous nature WRT
services.  It may be re-submitted and probably will however we do not
have consensus on it at present.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com