ubl-clsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-clsc] Terminology regarding code lists

** Reply to message from "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> on
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:39:57 -0500

> The mechanism we define will accommodate both and the schema fragments for
> code lists and those for enumerated lists ... do we need to make this
> distinction in our work or do you think that is just a choice of LCSC to
> utilize our code list specification for their enumerated lists?

I see no value myself in the distinction.  I'm still not convinced by the UBL
distinction between identifiers and codes.  In any case, I see no reason for
the mechanics to be different, even if the semantics might be.

> I think one aspect of these enumerated lists are they are immutable and
> that users of UBL would never be allowed to change them for private-use
> lists ... but that is a deployment issue and not a declaration/definition
> issue so I don't think it impacts us.

Well, people's sets of *immutable* codes often turn out to be short sighted.
Still, in some cases it can be good to have a set of choices that is immutable
until the release of the next version of a spec, since it can make life easier
for application developers.  When every choice can change from day to day, it
required a lot of defensive programming in the applications, and that can be
expensive.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.