ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Hybrid approach to local vs. global

At 2007-03-01 08:32 -0700, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>I'm not wanting to re-visit with Ken on the "it's not UBL if it does not
>have the namespaces and the XSD".

I feel a bit restrained here :{)} so rather than repeat myself I'll
try a new tack.

>What CAM can do for people is get them out of a practical hole with
>their XML and allow them to bridge to formal UBL depending on their
>operational needs and their partner systems.
>
>The key is - as you get more fielded UBL implementations out there -
>these production needs will drive future development of the standard
>and the practical tools used to support it.
>
>For example - if the Russian Government said - "we'd love to use UBL -
>but we need different tagnames for in country use" - then having the
>option to use CAM to morph between localization details and say an EU
>base-line - would obviously be enabling... and overall I'm guessing the
>bigger goal is UBL adoption and use, rather than say driving XSD
>adoption and use!?!

This isn't a new idea and my comments regarding not supporting this
have nothing to do with CAM.  ISO/IEC 19757-8 Document Schema
Renaming Language (DSRL) was also posited to address the use case of
a community of UBL users wanting to have "local" names for a
transliterated (not transformed) document vocabulary equivalent in
structure to UBL.  This has already been discussed.

Perhaps when we start seeing Java languages with the keywords
transliterated to Russian, or DocBook with the vocabulary
transliterated to Japanese, or any widely distributed computer-based
vocabulary requiring localized vocabularies in order to gain
acceptance ... then the UBL TC might even entertain a notion to start
thinking about considering what possible benefit there might
potentially be ... but until then the localization argument for
acceptance and "drive for future development" is totally
disingenuous.  The predominant use of any set of mnemonics for
worldwide compatibility is there for just that, worldwide
compatibility.  If someone develops a Java application using Russian
keywords, they then burden the rest of the world with having to
transliterate that work into the standardized Java keywords for the
Java systems in the rest of the world to operate.

Have we seen localized versions of HTML?  If someone posted a web
page using a localized version of the HTML vocabulary would anyone
else's browser understand it?  Did the English language use of
mnemonics in the HTML vocabulary prevent worldwide adoption?

As the mnemonics in a UBL instance are not meant to be documentary
(though were chosen to give a hint to human readers of the English
language), UBL instances will be created by computer programs that
will have plug and play localized user interfaces.

We are talking document interchange here ... how many users will be
editing UBL by hand?

I'm very worried that readers of the archive will be misled into
thinking that a localized vocabulary of anything (not just UBL) is
somehow equivalent to a standardized vocabulary.

What *possible* benefit is there for a computer program, indeed why
would it not be considered a burden on a computer program, to have to
consider transliterated vocabularies when a standardized vocabulary
is needed for interchange?  Working with markup is behind the scenes
... users see program interfaces ... only when all tools break down
that a user has to actually look at angle brackets, the choice of
language of the basis of the mnemonics isn't necessary since the
reference documentation exists.  We are talking here about fallback
contingencies, not day-to-day work.

I hope readers of the archive will consider the vast worldwide
acceptance of a single set of keywords for a given vocabulary of
anything (e.g. Java, SQL, HTML, etc.) promotes more interoperability
than introducing localized versions of anything that is dealt with by
computer programs.

I hope this has added a fresh look at the issue and is not considered
a rehash.  Please don't make out there is a problem when the evidence
of the worldwide acceptance of popular vocabularies proves there is
no such issue.

I truly hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc