ubl message

Subject: Copy edits to the document spreadsheets

Hello UBL TC,

This is the second of two messages containing the results of my
copy edit of the PRD2 spreadsheets.  This one applies to the 31
maindoc spreadsheets.

In addition to the same systematic changes noted in the first
message on edits to the Common Library, the following operations
were performed manually on the Definition column of the maindoc
spreadsheets:

 - Punctuation (especially commas) has been regularized

 - Several typos were fixed, including

   "reposnse" to "response"
   "puchasing" to "purchasing"
   "Calogue" to "Catalogue"
   "Deivery" to "Delivery"

 - "The indicator for" and "To indicate" were changed to
   "Indicates" wherever appropriate

 - "user defined" became "user-defined"

 - "full text" became "full-text"

 - "A description of" became "Describes"

I also took advantage of this edit to implement a change resulting
from the discussion of UBLVersionID that took place in the UBL TC
meeting in Montréal.

The earlier definition of UBLVersionID as "the version of the UBL
schema being used" is incorrect, since in fact no particular UBL
schema is needed to generate an instance, and instances may
conform to more than one version of the UBL schema for the given
document type.  For purposes of this copy edit, I used the
following definition for UBLVersionID:

   "The earliest version of the UBL 2 schema for this document
   type that defines all of the elements that might be encountered
   in the current instance."

This wording is not set in stone; it's just a default for review
by the PSC and TC.  Here are a couple of alternative formulations:

   "The earliest version of the UBL 2 schema for this document
   type to which the current instance claims conformance."

And

   "The earliest version of the UBL 2 schema for this document
   type that can reliably be used to validate this instance."

An exhaustive diff of the changes made by hand will be found in
the file "diffs1s2" in the package attached.  IT IS IMPORTANT THAT
SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE BUSINESS CONTENT REVIEW THE DIFF TO
MAKE SURE THAT I HAVEN'T SCREWED ANYTHING UP.  Some of the diffs
may be due to removal of trailing spaces, so the two versions may
not look different, but they are.

Unlike my edit of the Common Library spreadsheet, the changes to
the maindocs were confined to the Definition column.  The edited
spreadsheets are included in the package attached; as with the
Common Library, I'll wait on creating the ODF versions till it's
time to package up PRD3.

A couple of questions remained unanswered at the end of this
exercise; I refer them to the PSC for disposition:

 - UBL-ForwardingInstructions-2.0 and
   UBL-TransportationStatus-2.0.xls contain the following
   definition:

      "Reference number assigned by a carrier or its agent to
      identify a specific shipment such as a booking reference
      number when cargo space is reserved prior to loading."

   Does this mean

      Reference number assigned by a carrier or its agent to
      identify a specific shipment, such as a booking reference
      number when cargo space is reserved prior to loading.

   Or does it mean

      Reference number assigned by a carrier or its agent to
      identify a specific shipment, such as a booking reference
      number, when cargo space is reserved prior to loading.

 - UBL-ForwardingInstructions-2.0 contains the definition "Name of
   a Forwarding Instructions."  Can we say ""Name of a Forwarding
   Instructions document" instead?

 - In UBL-SelfBilledInvoice-2.0, the definitions seem to alternate
   at random between "Invoice" and "Self Billed Invoice".  Is this
   correct?

Jon

maindoc.zzz