ubl message

Subject: An alternative serialization for our JSON alternative serialization

Fellow UBL TC members,

I'm on a project where I've got some feedback from Martin Forsberg, our committee colleague, that our JSON alternative serialization we've been proposing for years suffers a challenging issue: a transliteration between XML and JSON cannot be done without intimate knowledge of the CCTS model for UBL.

This wasn't considered a challenge in the early days of our project, as the essence of the project solely was going between an internal memory representation to and from a JSON serialization. Conversion from XML was merely a convenience in the generation of JSON example syntax. Indeed, we haven't heard issues from any current users of our existing JSON serialization ... they simply have used what we've published.

So, while creating JSON examples for our working drafts we've addressed the challenge by using the genericode serialization of the CCTS model for UBL as an input to the transformation process. I'm told this isn't very straightforward for programmers to understand easily or replicate.

I've gone through the details and I've detailed in a new ticket, with an example, a proposal to consider for a new JSON serialization:

  https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/UBL-273

Please add comments to the ticket rather than to this email.

If you are reading this post in the UBL archives and you do not have OASIS credentials, please use the public comment list because you will not be able to add comments directly. When I see a public comment, I will link to it from the ticket. Please make your public comment here:

  https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=ubl

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @ US$45 (5 hours free) |