uddi-spec message

Subject: New Member - Massimo Paolucci - FW: participation in the UDDI TC

Dear TC,

This is somewhat of a departure from our welcoming process, but given that
Massimo who has joined as a prospective member today and has provided us
with a letter of intent (read - "introduction"), please find attached a few
words of intro from Massimo.

Please join me in welcoming him to the TC.

Luc

Luc Clément
Secretary, OASIS UDDI Spec TC

Web:         www.iclement.net/luc
MSN IM:    luclclement@hotmail.com
Cell:         425.941.0150

-----Original Message-----
From: Massimo Paolucci [mailto:paolucci@cs.cmu.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 17:19
To: Luc Clément; 'Tom Bellwood'
Subject: Re: participation in the UDDI TC

Tom and Luc,

here is my letter of intent.  I am not quite sure what it is required so I
wrote why I am intersted in joining the UDDI TC.  Please let me know whether
you need something different.

I am looking forward to partecipate in the TC work.

Sincerely,

--- Massimo

I have been working on the representation of Web services in the
context of the Semantic web for the last 3 years as member of the
OWL-S (former DAML-S) coalition, and more recently also as member of
the SWSI (Semantic Web Services Initiative) architecture committee.

In particular my work concentrated on discovery of Web services on the
based of their capabilities.  To this extent I have been part of a
team that first developed a OWL-S Matching engine to show how OWL-S
can be used for Web service discovery.

Since UDDI is the leading technology for Web service discovery, I took
the lead at integrating the OWL-S matching engine in the UDDI
registry.  The result of this work has been published in [1] and
resulted in an implementation, based on the Systinet UDDI, available
at [2]. More recently, I worked at a tighter integration of OWL-S and
UDDI using the open source JUDDI.  This new version of the matchmaker
will be released next week.

I hope I can contribute to UDDI with my experience with direct
implementation of Web-based systems and in particular with extending
the UDDI registry to perform capability-based discovery.  Furthermore,
I can contribute hands on experience with designing and implementation
of systems based on the Semantic Web.

[1] Massimo Paolucci, Takahiro Kawamura, Terry R. Payne, Katia Sycara;
"Importing the Semantic Web in UDDI". In Proceedings of Web Services,
E-business and Semantic Web Workshop.  Available at
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~softagents/publications.html

[2] www.damlsmm.ri.cmu.edu