ws-rx message

Subject: RE: [ws-rx] New Issue: Harmonization of Line Numbers accross PDF, DOC versions of working draft

When the WSS-TC recently published its public review documents for WSS
1.1 Mary McRae [marypmcrae@gmail.com] pointed out the following:

+++
Also, according to the TC Process that went into effect on 4/15, all
documents need to be made available in 3 formats: source files, PDF, and
HTML.
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.18
+++

I think this means we will have to solve any line numbering problem
since we will want to deliver source files and PDF with consistent line
numbers.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

PDF,
> [...]
> >would suggest that we
> >get a read from someone at Sun on whether the line numbers are
consistent
> >between the .sxw
> >and .pdf that OO generates. However, since the PDF was generated from
the
> >.sxw, it seems to me
> >that it would be inappropriate to expect that the line numbers would
> >necessarily match those
> >of the .doc.
> >
> >I created the PDF to permit those without OO to view the document.
> >
> >Possibly this will clear up some of the confusion. In general, I
don't
> >think that this is an
> >issue with which we should be overly concerned .
> >
> >Duane, please don't upload the PDF.
> >
> >All, please don't use the .doc version as it isn't the normative
source.

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Christopher Ferris
> >STSM, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> >email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> >blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
> >phone: +1 508 377 9295
> >
> >Duane Nickull <dnickull@adobe.com> wrote on 08/17/2005 10:27:29 PM:
> >

> >>Doug:
> >>
> >>I just fixed the PDF (I can upload it to Kavi separately if someone
> >>wants).  When Adobe Acrobat distills a PDF, it merely copies the
line
> >>numbers from the word doc.  The process is fool proof (even I, a
lowly
> >>Adobe standards guy can manage to operate it ;-).  The PDF on the
site
> >>was probably made from a different *.doc than the one currently on
the
> >>site.  I am not sure about the Open Office Doc.  Maybe someone else
can
> >>comment on that. If it cannot ensure consistent line numbers with
the
> >>other docs, we are creating a problem for ourselves and the audience
of
> >>this spec as we go forward.
> >>
> >>The issue before the TC is whether or not we:
> >>
> >>1. replace the PDF now with the one with correct line numbers and
ask
> >>all issue owners to make sure their line numbers in their issues are
> >>matching the line numbers in both the PDF and Doc files;
> >>
> >>2. leave the PDF up as it is and ask all issue owners to qualify
their
> >>line numbers with the exact document version they referenced, then
make
> >>sure the next editors revision has consistent line numbers.
> >>
> >>I have created a new PDF but will not upload it until I have
> >>clarification.  This really should be a non-issue since it is
trivial
> >>but does need to be resolved. I am assuming that the next version
will
> >>not have the same line numbering mismatch (at least not between the
Doc