ws-rx message

Subject: PR issue 35 RE: Delivery Assurances

PR issue 35

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Houstoun [mailto:kevinh@altkb.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:03 PM
To: ws-rx-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: paul@wso2.com
Subject: [ws-rx-comment] RE: Delivery Assurances

Having reviewed the spec I'm disappointed to note that delivery assurance
have been dropped from this spec.

FPL is FIX Protocol Limited, FIX is the messaging standard developed
specifically for the real-time electronic exchange of securities
transactions and is widely adopted in the securities industry. FIX comprises
of a session layer that is responsible for the delivery of FIX's application
messages. The FIX session layer provides guaranteed ordered delivery of FIX
application messages. See www.fixprotocol.org for more background
information.

FPL has been looking at using the finalised WS-RX transport as an
alternative transport for the FIX business application messages. The
original idea was that we'd be able to formulate a single policy file that
would provide reliable messaging with the following assurances, once only,
in order and guaranteed.  E.g. <wsrmp:ExactlyOnce/> <wsrmp:InOrder/> etc. It
is envisaged that firms would use this where more scalability is needed than
the existing FIX session layer provides and where the users are not
sensitive to latency.

As the specification stands we'll be in the situation of having to either
drop support for this particular standard and advising our user community to
wait for this technology to mature, suggest another standard such as a FAST
session or issuing multiple policy files that will likely not achieve our
aim of avoiding ambiguity.

Could I please ask that the inclusion of delivery assurance in the
specification be reconsidered as we'd very much like to advance using common
technology standard rather than having to continue to roll our own in
financial services.

Thanks

Kevin Houstoun, On behalf of the FIX Global Technical Committee.