ws-rx message

Subject: Re: [ws-rx] [NEW ISSUE] Remove references from WSRM to WSRMP

Doug

> hmmm, some interesting things come to mind....
> - what does section 2.4 (DAs) mean w/o the notion of putting them as
> Policy assertions? What is a reader expected to do with them w/o some
> guidance?  Or would we move these to the WS-RMP spec?

The definitions of DAs are just that - simply core definitions of a
messaging concept. I think they have value in the main spec as a
motivator of what RM is really for. I agree that from a dependency chain
perspective they might make more sense in the WSRMP spec, but from a
reader's perspective they make more sense here. The deletion of the one
sentence forward-link to WSRMP is really a very minor change.

> - how does removing the reference to WS-RMP help when we have other
> references to things like SecurityPolicy - which points to the submitted
> version of WSP?

Ok. So now you have forced me to explain my ulterior motive here :-)
I don't agree with the current debate on WSRMPs ref to Policy. I think
we could have gone forward to CS/OS with either of the fine drafts you
put together. I suspect others in the TC may also have that view. My
concern is that the debate will continue and once again deadlock the TC.
I see removing the reference to RMP to be an insurance policy. If the
minority of the TC who cannot agree on Policy continue to disagree then
I will propose that we split the CS/OS ballots into three independent
votes, and maybe we can proceed to CS/OS with - for example - WSRM. Let
me be clear - this is not an outcome that I want. I personally think all
three specs are ready to go.

I do not accept Microsoft's view that CD8 means you can only implement
WSRMP with WSP1.5. And I don't accept Oracle's view that having a loose
reference to Policy hinders interop. From an Apache perspective we will
implement and interoperate on both WSP1.2 and 1.5 and we don't consider
either of those a hard thing to do with WSRMP as currently written. In
fact at this rate the code will be ready before the arguments are finished.

So to answer your question, I don't believe there is a problem with a
ref to WS-SecPolicy, because it is an already published stable document.
The only problem with a reference to WSRMP is that (1) it is unnecessary
from a dependency viewpoint (2) it would invalidate a separate vote,
because we couldn't go forward with a document that references WSRMP if
WSRMP failed to go forward.

> - If pointing to SecurityPolicy is ok because its a non-normative ref,
> then rather than removing refs to WS-RMP, we should just make it a
> non-normative one?

So this would be a problem for the reasons stated above.

> - If we decouple RM and RMP, then it seems we should do the same for MC.
Yes that is very logical

>  Kind of sad since the real content in a WS-MCP spec would be less than
> a page.  sigh.

I completely agree.

Would you object to including that as part of this
> issue/proposal if I did the work to split it out?

I would rather track it as a separate issue because it is a much larger
piece of work including moving text between documents, possibly creating
documents. This is currently a very minor issue and adding in MC would
enlarge it considerably.

Paul