wsbpel message

Subject: [wsbpel] Issue - R18 - Uniqueness of WSDL Faults

There are actually multiple cases:
 - multiple WSDL fault names with the same WSDL fault message
 - multiple WSDL fault names with different WSDL fault messages containing
the same WSDL part definition(s)

For these cases, you may have
(a) a binding that provides the fault name --> no issue
(b) a binding (like SOAP) that does not provide the fault name --> the
service provider should redesign the interface

IMO, this is another situation where WS-BPEL should not attempt to solve a
problem that resides between WSDL and bindings.

Kind Regards
DK

 Dieter König                                Mail: dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com         IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

 Senior Technical Staff Member               Tel (office): (+49) 7031-16-3426      Schönaicher Strasse 220

 Architect, Business Process Choreographer   Fax (office): (+49) 7031-16-4890      71032 Böblingen

 Member, Technical Expert Council            Tel (home office): (+49) 7032-201464  Germany

             Danny van der
             Rijn
             <dannyv@tibco.com                                          To
             >                         Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                                                        cc
             11.10.2006 00:14          wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - R18 -
                                       Uniqueness of WSDL Faults

Alex Yiu wrote:

      Hi Danny,

      Regarding to the suggestion in your first bullet:
                  changing the fault catching behavior to not use fault
                  name, but its data type
      I am not sure I follow 100%. But, if my understanding is correct, we
      have already supported that kind of capabilities:

      -------------
         <catch faultName="QName"?
            faultVariable="BPELVariableName"?
            ( faultMessageType="QName" | faultElement="QName" )? >*
      -------------

      e.g.:
      <catch faultElement="foo:aFaultElement">
      or
      <catch faultMessageType="foo:aFaultMsgType">

What I meant in the first bullet is that <catch faultName="QName"> is not a
well-defined option if the fault name can't be readily inferred.  So it
would need to be changed somehow, or removed.

      Of course, I guess the next question is: is that good enough? and do
      we need other extra "tools or ropes" suggested in your other bullets?

      And, I am not sure I follow your third bullet.

As for the 3rd bullet, I was suggesting that we specify an algorithm for
turning transmitted data into a fault QName.  As an example, I was
suggesting a lexical first match against the fault elements specified in
the WSDL.  Note that I don't have a suggestion for fault types, just
elements.  I imagine types would be similar, though.

      Thanks!

      Regards,
      Alex Yiu

      ws-bpel issues list editor wrote:

            This issue has been added to the wsbpel issue list with a
            status of "received". The status will be changed to "open" if a
            motion to open the issue is proposed and that motion is
            approved by the TC. A motion could also be proposed to close it
            without further consideration. Otherwise it will remain as
            "received".

            The issues list is posted as a Technical Committee document to
            the OASIS WSBPEL TC pages on a regular basis. The current
            edition, as a TC document, is the most recent version of the
            document entitled in the "Issues" folder of the WSBPEL TC
            document list - the next posting as a TC document will include
            this issue. The list editor's working copy, which will normally
            include an issue when it is announced, is available at this
            constant URL.

            Issue - R18 - Uniqueness of WSDL Faults