wsrm message

Subject: Comments on CD 0.992

I have one clarification question and some editorial comments.

Jun Tatemura
NEC Laboratories America

-----
A clarification question:

How the receiver RMP can return InvalidPollRequest fault in a Response
element whereas a PollRequest message does not have MessageId?
(Maybe I missed some discussion done)

----
Overall editorial comments:
This comment does not affect the nature of the specification
but points out readability issues.

I have some feedback from engineers inside NEC, who were confused
in interpreting the spec, especially on the group termination (5.1).
The group termination rules are introduced in order to minimize
the receiver RMP implementation's cost on data persistence.
I think the logic is correct and complete but the writing is
not user friendly. Readers are required to read the spec very
much carefully to avoid misinterpretation.

Here are some implications from the feedback

[1]
The receiver can forget previous group IDs after group state removal
but the sender MUST NOT reuse group IDs. The spec shuold explicitly note
about the sender side here. One engineer thought the sender could
re-open a group.

[2]
It should be explicitly noted that receiving "status=end" does not mean
"Group Closing." In (t3)(t4), the spec uses another terminology
"complete," which also confuses readers.
For the receiver side group closing, we can define two categories:
(a) group completion: the receiver RMP received all messages from start
to end.
(b) group timeout: (b1) the receiver RMP observes that groupExpiryTime
specified is over
or (b2) the receiver RMP observes that groupMaxDuration specified is over.
Once we define these at the first time, termination rules would be
much simpler and easier to understand.

[3]
One engineer was worried about the fact that the sender's
groupExpiryTime and
the receiver's groupExpiryTime are not in sync. It is in fact okay that the
sender does not know the current groupExpiryTime in the receiver side.
It is better to clearly state this.

[4]
It is not clear that when the spec states "groupExpryTime is over" in
the sender
side, which groupExpiryTime is observed by the sender. Is it based on
the last message the sender sent? Or the last message for which the sender
received ack? In fact, either cases are okay for reliable messaging. But
this ambiguity confuses readers.

----
Editorial comments:

3.3 (l.548)
 > the receiver's RMP
must be
 > the receiver RMP

4.2.1.1 (ll.701-703)
 > the receiver of the message MUST make messages available to the
application layer
 > only after all messages with the same groupId value and a lower
number value have
 > been made available to the application.
must be
 > the receiver RMP MUST NOT deliver the message until all messages with
the
 > same groupId value and a lower number value have been delivered.

4.2.1.1 Table 3
 > See 3.1.2 for details
There is no section such as 3.1.2

4.2.1.1 (ll.763-767)
 > When an application is ....
This discussion should not be done in 4.2.1.1(4). This part should be
moved to somewhere in 3.3 or totally removed.

4.3 (l.846)
 > notSupportedFeature
must be
 > NotSupportedFeature

4.5.2 (l.1052 and Table 17)
Faults are somtimes "thrown" and sometimes "sent."
For consistent use of terminology, a fault should
be "sent."

5.1.2 (l.1133)
 > termination rules t1, t2 or t3 described below
should be
 > termination rules t1, t2, t3, or t5 described below
since t5 is applied even when a group persistence parameter is present.

5.1.3 (3) (ll.1021-1202)
Even in case of subcase 3.2, the state can become subcase 3.1 by
receiving missing message
before reaching states t1 or t2. The sentence could be something like
"Then the Receiver RMP MUST apply termination rules of (t1) or (t2)
or apply termination rule of (t3.1) after all message have been delivered"

-----