wsrm message

Subject: Schemas and Namespaces

 Folks,

 WSRM TC has the following 4 schemas:

 Schema Namespace  File name  Prefix  Description
 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrm/schema/1.1  ws-reliability.xsd  wsrm  Schemas for the WSRM Elements
 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrm/schema/1.1/reference  reference.xsd  ref  Has the schema for ServiceRefType
 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrm/schema/1.1/fnp/  fnp.xsd  fnp  Schema for F,P, and all Compositor constructs
 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrm/schema/1.1/feature/rel/  wsrmf.xsd  wsrmf  Schema for WSRM Properties

 Except for one know change (removing ReplyTo property from wsrmf.xsd), I'm assuming the contents are going
 to be final. I suggest all of you to review the schema along with the specification document too and please send
 me comments.

 Currently, these schemas are not referencible as the schema files are hosted at a different location than
 their namespaces? If we want to make them referencible (I prefer so), then we have to change the namespaces.
 This will result changes in the schemas and the document, although the changes would be mostly
 find-and-replace.

 If we do want to make them referencible, then the namespaces should start with:
         http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/....

 There are 2 options w.r.t. to the remaining part of the namespace and that of the suffix/extension.

 a) Remaining part of the namespace.

     Option 1: Using the date/year convention that is followed by many specifications now
     (SOAP 1.2, WS-Security etc.).   Namespaces in this convention would look like:
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/2004/06/ws-reliability/...
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/2004/06/reference/...
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/2004/06/fnp/...
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/2004/06/wsrmf/...

      OASIS folks recommend the above, although they don't mandate it.

      Option 2: Is to use the version in the namespace, something similar to what we have currently.
      Schemas in here will look like:
                http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/ws-reliability.xsd
                http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/reference.xsd
                http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm//1.1/fmp.xsd
                http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/wsrmf.xsd

      If we do decide to go with Option 2, we may need to further polish them.

      Between these 2 options, I prefer Option 1 as that seem to be practice these days.

 b) Other piece to this puzzle is whether to use the suffix .xsd in the namespace.

     Option 1:  with the suffix/extension:
     Example: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/ws-reliability.xsd
     Something similar to what WS-Security did.

     Option 2:  without any suffix/extension:
     Example: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/ws-reliability
     Something similar to what SOAP 1.2 did.
     I prefix Option 2 here as it is elegant and succinct. However, I'm not sure whether
     OASIS hosting environment supports  mapping a context URI to a file name, i.e.,
     whether the URI http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/1.1/ws-reliability
     to a file under that context/directory. I have sent some mails to OASIS webmaster
     and still waiting their response on this. If this is possible, I strongly suggest option 2,
     i.e., without any suffix/extension to the namespace.

 Comments????

 -Sunil