wsrm message

Subject: Re: [wsrm] about review of Section 2-2.5, 5.2

My comments identified by <iwasa> are inline:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacques Durand" <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com>
To: "WSRM (E-mail)" <wsrm@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 4:22 PM
Subject: [wsrm] about review of Section 2-2.5, 5.2

> inline <JD>

Consumer
> [...]
> properties we expect from a SOAP request-response MEP
> are satisfied, (and the properties we describe for a SOAP One-way are
not).

> - Section 2.4
>
> On re-reading, this entire section implies that WSDL can only be written
> down to describe the application level (Producer to Consumer) interface.
> Since the need for this section arose out of my "Summary of WS-Reliability
> 1.01* issues discussed over past week" points, I do not think we have
quite
> fixed the problem.  I was recommending we avoid WSDL terminology entirely
> (except in Appendix B) or at least be very clear we are talking about WSDL
> the Consumer provides. [technical]
>
> <JD> right, we are talking of the case where WSDL describes messages that
> are passed to Consumer via Deliver (input messages) and sent from COnsumer
> via Respond.
> Probably that should be presented as one use case of WSDL + RMP (when
> sending reliable messages
> to a Web service.) We might push that back to the end, but on the other
hand
> it
> may be useful for reader to have a concrete example on how these RMP
> operations can be used
> in a Web services context, in which after all WSDL plays a significant
> role...
>
> - Section 2.4
>
> This section also makes a more clear and inflexible link between the
> high-level abstract operations and the wire-level SOAP exchanges than we
> have had before. The terms should be introduced as a description of
> implementation flow which may be used to implement the RM-Reply Patterns.
> Reaching across abstraction levels in the current fashion just adds
> restrictions without adding value. [technical]
>
> <JD> section 2.4.2 does not play a major role, and could take a less
> prominent place.
> We could even remove it if others think it more confusing than helpful.
> I think a valuable statement behind it is that the context of use (e.g. BP
> 1.0) may constrain
> the SOAP MEP being used, even prior to what RM Reply Pattern you want to
use
> in your
> reliable message (and that in turn will restrict what RM Reply Pattern you
> can use, as stated in 5.2.,
> given the COnsumer WSDL-to-RMP link ) This rationale was hidden in 5.2.
>

> - Section 2.5
>
> Now that we have introduced the terms one-way and request-response, why
not
> use them more clearly in this section?  While 2.5.1 is quite explicit
here,
> 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 are not.  None of the sections refer to the defined
> bindings either.  Binding (b1) corresponds to some of the exchanges in the
> Callback and Poll RM-Reply patterns (the original message for example).
An
> so on.  Lines 440-441, for example, say "...in a request of a SOAP
> Request-response MEP instance (or in the message of a SOAP One-way MEP).",
> this is general enough to say nothing. [editorial and minor technical]
>
> <JD> Lines 440-441 say at least that it is NOT sent in the response of a
> SOAP request-response MEP...
> These definitions are expressed here only in terms of wire-level
> exchange patterns, and do not depend on RMP operations.
> Of course there will be an induced dependency with RMP operations, but the
> definition of these Reply Patterns
> does not have to address that: these Reply Patterns can be defined even
> without assuming
> RMP operations.
> So these sections define a scope of applicability of each RM Reply
Pattern,
> in terms of
> what usage of SOAP MEPs is expected.
>

> - 1360: "WS-I BP 1.0 prohibits sending a SOAP envelope in an HTTP
response,"

> This is not generally true but is true for WSDL one-way operations when
> they are directly mapped to SOAP exchanges over HTTP.
>
> <JD> Well, this statement is associated with "**" which refers to One-way
> WSDL.
>
>  In our case, the
> RM-Reply Patterns implement the exchanges described in the Producer /
> Consumer WSDL.  SOAP messages are primarily an issue for the RMP
> implementation of those patterns.  That is, this restriction does not
reach
> down 3 levels!
>
> <JD> I will try to address the remaining later - from a quick look, I have
> no strong disagreement
> with statements below.
> (but need to get some sleep now...).
>

> ----------------
>
> Even we wanted all levels in our stack to operate under the same
> restrictions (an inflexible approach), the generality of this statement
> would remain a problem. [minor technical]
>
> - 1364-1367: "While this specification doesn't prohibit using the Callback
> or Poll RM-Reply Patterns to receive acknowledgments or faults for a
> Request-response operation, it encourages the use of the Response RM-Reply
> Pattern for such operations: the acknowledgment or the fault can be sent
on
> the response itself, thus saving round trips."
>
> We encourage something that (apparently) does not support exchanges with
no
> consumer payload?  This continues to make no sense.  If it means something
> to someone, it probably should be earlier in the specification in any
case.
>   [minor technical]

<iwasa>
I propose to remove the sentence (line number 1339-1342 in WD1.08).
Because we have enough description in "2.5.1 Response RM-Reply Pattern"
and the first portion of "4.3 PollRequest Element". I believe those
description
are enough.
</iwasa>

> I also see a very minor editorial issue here: We should say "does not"...
> [editorial]

<iwasa>
This would be resolved with the above proposal.
</iwasa>

> - 276-278: "For example, in one specific implementation choice, the
> Receiving RMP places the payload into a queue. This queue may represent
the
> Consumer."
>
> I probably restored this sentence in the Deliver definition.  It is now
> redundant with text in section 2.2.  Suggest we remove it. [editorial]

<iwasa>
Agree.
</iwasa>

> - 347: "The separation assumed here between Producer and Consumer and
their
> associated RMP do..."
>
> This is a minor typographic error I just noticed.  Should probably be
> "separations" to make the sentence consistent. [editorial]

<iwasa>
I believe no one has problem to fix this typo.
</iwasa>

> - 361-362: "The delivery of a Reliable Message MUST be done via the
> invocation of the Deliver operation."
>
> I think this is redundant with the following sentence (TC approved words).
> [editorial]

<iwasa>
I agree to remove this sentence. This is redundant.
</iwasa>

> - Section 5.2
>
> In general, this section seems redundant with material now in Section 2.
> Why is it here?  What does it add except confusion? [possibly editorial?]

<iwasa>
I personaly don't have objection to remove the sentence.
Or it could be merged with section 2 if someone prefers
to do so. I can live with either way.

I propose to remove the section 5.2, if no one made objection.

Thanks,

Iwasa
</iwasa>