xacml message

Subject: Break the Glass policies

I have just returned from ACSAC in Hawaii where I presented a paper on
the BTG-RBAC model. BTG is equivalent to breaking the glass on a
firedoor. You are not normally granted access but in an emergency you
are if you decide to BTG. This model requires the PDP to return one of
three responses to the PEP instead of the traditional two (grant and
deny) (forgetting for now indeterminate and not-applicable)

The semantics of the new "permission to BTG" response are

- this user is not granted access, but will be granted access if he/she
decides to break the glass.

The application can then display a screen to the user asking if they
wish to BTG and warning them that they will be held accountable for
their actions if they decide to BTG. At real hospital trails in the main
hospital in Porto, Portugal, where my PhD student works, results show
that nearly 50% of doctors decided not to BTG when given the opportunity
to do so. (The results are presented in our ACSAC paper along with the
model). If the user decides to BTG then this grant is accompanied by a
set of obligations which can perform audit, email the user's manager,
reset the broken glass in 30 minutes etc at the wish of the policy
writer. We have implemented a number of these obligations.

Whilst a complete implementation requires a truly stateful PDP, we have
implemented support for BTG (with some limitations) using Sun's XACML
PDP with a stateful wrapper that holds the BTG state in an obligation
object. (We will be writing a paper on this sometime in the New Year).
Either way, the PEP is given an extra response, "permission to BTG" when
it asks if the user can access a particular resource. The reason we have
done it this way, rather than getting the PEP to make multiple calls to
the PDP and hold the BTG state itself, is simple, it makes it trivial
for any application to support BTG policies, which can be simply added
to the access control policies of any stateful or stateless PDP (XACML
or otherwise).

So, after this very long introduction, my question to the group is

Can we standardise the BTG response and add it to the XACML standard as
  a new response in the response context.

1. Ideally I would like to create a fifth enumerated value for decision,
called BTG

2. As a sort of hack, we could create a new Major status code called
BTG, but this is a hack, status codes are optional and the response is
neither grant or deny but is genuinely intermediate to these. It is not
indeterminate or not-applicable either, so which decision would
accompany this status code?

3. We can always invent our own minor status code and put BTG there
without perturbing the XACML standard, but this is effectively the group
saying we dont see a requirement for BTG policies.

Comments please.

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184