xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] Subject Auth Name?

> The field I was referring to is "Subject Alternative Name", aka
> subjectAltName.  See section 4.2.1.6 of RFC 5280,
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5280.txt .

I suppose I should add that my reason for bringing it up was to suggest
that *if* new profiles specifying the use of X.509 certs are to be written
they should strongly consider using subjectAltName for subject naming
rather than trying to wedge yet more stuff into Subject.  As we discussed
this is a different matter than relying on existing public CAs which do
use Subject in the conventional way (cn=some.dns.name, ignore all the
other DN components).  Whether it's a good idea to write new profiles to
use X.509 certs is not clear to me.

  - RL "Bob"