xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 8-9AM PT Tuesday 2009-02-17

Following is the agenda for the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Tuesday, 17 February 2009 USA
Time:  8:00AM - 9:00AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:00 UTC)

ATTENDING

Peter Davis
Drummond Reed
Eran Hammer-Lahav
John Bradley
Markus Sabadello

AGENDA

The agenda for Tuesday calls is on the Self-Service Agenda page:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/SelfServeAgenda

1) EXTENSIBILITY OF XRD CONTAINER

We discussed the first issue listed on the page above - extensibility of an
XRD to describe services/attributes of the resource the XRD describes (vs.
other resources to which the XRD is linked).

Example: a user XRD links to an XRD for an OpenID service provider (OP) that
has a set of services. For instance, an OP that wants to offer both an
OpenID phone popup and an OpenID desktop popup. How does that latter XRD
describe the OP's services?

Option #1: Use a <Link>  with a special <Rel> value to describe "self".
Peter felt we needed all the semantics of <Link> for a SubjectType. Eran
does not like this because he feels only element in <Link> that you need is
<ResourceType>.

Option #2: Do what Dirk suggested on the list and allow <SubjectType> to
have child elements and give it a URI attribute.

Option #3: If the XRD is describing the resource at the URI, simply allow
the XRD level to be extended with another element. This is the current XRD
extensibility architecture. The arguments in favor:

	a) Whomever needs the extension element simply defines it in their
own namespace.
	b) Extension elements work the same way at both the XRD and Link
levels.
	c) It doesn't require any other changes.

# ERAN to compile a list of the options and publish it.

2) XRD SCHEMA

We briefly discussed the three issues Drummond listed at the bottom of the
new XRD Schema wiki page:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XrdOne/XrdSchema

On the first issue, there was general agreement that we don't have to
restrict <Alias> to only be present when <Subject> is, though we should be
clear about the uses of these two elements and possible trust issues if the
latter is not present.

We ran out of time to discuss the others and will take them to the list.