cti-stix message

Subject: cti-pattern-validator - Operations question

Hello everyone. IBM is attempting to develop & maintain STIX 2.1 provisional support in our STIX-Shifter project. As part of that project, we are utilizing the cti-pattern-validator as a dependancy to validate the SCO queries submitted.

Because of this, we are running into a logistical problem, outlined as follows:

STIX-Shifter build process consumes cti-pattern-validator from PyPi
... yet we want to support STIX 2.1, and cti-pattern-validator does not support it yet
... which means the module in Pypi does not support it
... yet the cti-pattern-validator key maintainers are not yet ready to add 2.1 support until a CS is released

We are trying to figure out a clean solution to this problem that avoids us creating a fork or copy of this module.

Currently, we are simply bypassing all validation if the pattern appears to have any 2.1-isms.

IBM is willing to start doing work on a 2.1 branch on cti-pattern-validator, however, we would also need to start publishing said module with provisional 2.1 support to Pypi

Interested in input on how to work through this challenge.

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM.Security
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown