pki-guidelines message

Subject: Italy: Yet another OpenSignature standards effort

http://opensignature.sourceforge.net/english.php

These guys have concluded that Java applets are bad and that you
should exclude the browser altogether by using something called
URL Programming Interface, which in essens hosts a local web-server
for handling the crypto and signature stuff.

I believe this is similar to the Austrian scheme, although a bit less documented.

Personally I think Java is good as a short-term solution but useless in
the long-run as Microsoft would never support a Java-based standard.
The need for accepting native and trusted code during browsing is also
something that does not seem to be ideal.

Anders R