wsrp-primer message

Subject: Semi apology, some suggested topics and thoughts

Title: Semi apology, some suggested topics and thoughts
Hi Alan, Subhu, Rich,

My Semi-apology is for not producing the first pass at a Markup Generation Concept paragraph and Markup Interface section draft yet. That doesn't mean I haven't worked on it or thought about it, but as it turns out I had an opportunity to make a special presentation of a Public Healthcare Preparedness Portal Proof of Concept to a GSA-CIO Council-sponsored workshop in D.C. (at NSF-Arlington) Dec. 9, which also allows me to participate in a Town Hall Meeting that night at the XML 2003 Conference, with my travel being subsidized, so I have been pre-empted to a certain extent. Most of the organizing and scheduling for that is done, and the good news is that at least some of that work can be used in the primer, too.

However, I am working on the Markup Interface Section while I go through Alan's last draft, making the TOC match the current flow, minus trying to account for page numbers in this pass. Partly, this is an exercise in going through the entire document thus far, and partly this is to extract the elements from the primer to include in my presentation, which is necessarily web-services-based, and, therefore will feature the fact that the proof of concept portal will be an example of a WSRP/JSR168 Compliant/Conformant Portal.

My first suggested topic is that we use Section 1.3 Typical Process Flow from the spec as the basis for building our sequence of tutorials. It also reflects my thinking in wanting the sequence of primer to be Registration Interface > Service Description Interface > Markup Interface > Portlet Management Interface > Use Profiles.... We may also want to consider using this more simple flow for Ch. 3. Basic Scenario, please see thought 2. below.

My second suggested topic is that we start the process of implementing Security Standards by including it in the primer, something along the lines of what is suggested in the following article:

http://www.internetweek.com/security02/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15500166

My thoughts are:

1. Can we get our first draft done by the end of November? It would be very handy for me to be able to pass the Intro through Basic Scenario to my audience in D.C. There will certainly be members of the federal web services working group, xml.gov working group, GSA, Treasury Dept., Dept of Interior, and more in the very select and narrowly focused audience. It is, for the sake of jawbreaking, a program of the EA (Enterprise Architecture)  Collaboration Workshops sponsored by the Emerging Technology Subcommittee, Architecture and Infrastructure Committee and  the National Coordination Office for Information Technology Research & Development and it is part of the CIO Council.

The point is that is part of my own effort to get several related new standards, including WSRP very prominently in future intergovernmental RFPs, and then into the more mainstream RFPs. The basic connection for me is Emergency Management, HumanML and Web Services--now including Web Services Security, because I just joined the Security Joint Committee (currently enjoying a now-shortlived hiatus).

2.In the current suggested Basic Scenario a portfolio management app is used, but we are now seeing online, live, streaming services being offered in TV ads, so this makes us look a little behind the curve and out of touch, though we know better. Facts are almost always superceded by perceptions, if those perceptions can be backed up by products in the marketplace which change the actual facts before the current facts can be shown to disprove or discredit the perception.

Trying to say that we offer that kind of updated, just-in-time info in a more secure environment with greater depth and more options will only be perceived as backfilling, so I think we need to choose a scenario that doesn't run this risk. Unfortunately, what I am working on is Emergency Management, in general, and Healthcare (aka medical services) Delivery in particular, which, while it certainly includes business vendors in both supply and service chains, is not a clear business-based example, so it doesn't qualify.

I really hate it when someone shoots down a good example but doesn't suggest a better replacement, but I haven't had time to think about a better example, so can we discuss it?

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks