wsrp-primer message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-primer] Markup interface

Actually, it isn't that I don't think navState belongs in Markup, but
that it may not belong in the Primer altogether, since it is, in my
opinion, more advanced than basic. Perhaps the developer's list, when
OASIS provides it, would be a better place to answer questions about
those issues. However, I'm not going to hold up work on that account.

What I liked most out of your last refactoring, Subbu, and our
discussion last week was the explanation for why we need to have
markup fragments as portlets and not just rewrapped web pages. By
extension, the necessity for making it possible to have different
portlets from different producers on the same page as the lowest
common denominator for the specification as a whole also makes some
of the other issues that still need work a little easier to explain.
That also provides a launching point for discussing CSS classes to
ensure easy legibility and consistent look and feel.

Since my abstract for XML 2004 was accepted, I will be stretched a
bit thin getting ready for it, (I have to oversee a couple of groups
of developers learning WSRP and CAP), but I think I can find time
before next week to rework the Markup Interface using everything we
have discussed and submit it for review by next Thursday. As of now
that will include keeping navigationalState with the
portletStateChange flag and the two-step process for getMarkup() and
performBlockingInteraction() because the new markup messages do
handle that now. I will do my best to provide the motivational basis
for navigationalState as a way to cut down on repeating getMarkup()
calls and for page refresh and bookmarking purposes.

However, I really don't think it makes a lot of sense to get as
deeply into "cloneBeforeWrite," "readWrite" and "readOnly" as the
spec does.

If someone wanted to come up with a good way to simplify a basic
explanation for state management in Markup, the same way the markup
fragments explanation works, that would be very helpful. There are
only so many ways to say that we have to allow for different portlets
from different producers on the same page and updating different
portlets from the same producer during a performBlockingInteraction()
provides a benefit we decided to allow.

I would also be interested to hear other opinions.

Ciao,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks