< Return to Calendar

* XLIFF TC Meeting (Conference Call)
Name * XLIFF TC Meeting (Conference Call)
Time Tuesday, 03 March 2015, 11:00am to 12:00pm EST
(Tuesday, 03 March 2015, 04:00pm to 05:00pm UTC)

Please get the dial in information from our private Action Item here:


Attendance: Bryan, David W., Yves, David F, Joachim, Lucía, Michael, Tom, Uwe, Ryan, Soroush.

B: Approve meeting minutes, 03 February 2015
Yves: I second
B: Minutes approved.
Topic: ISO submission
B: The member review period for the terms for submission of XLIFF to ISO has closed. One comment was received.
dF: as the only comment was an endorsement, we don’t need to prepare a comments tracker, the ball is with OASIS Admin.

Topic: Revise schedule for XLIFF 2.1    
B: Kevin was the person in charge of this topic, he is not on the call. We had talked to change milestone driven focus to calendar driven.
Topic: Media type registration
B: In our last meeting we spent quite some time about the Media Type Regsistration and the ballot has been launched.
dF: It is good that the ballot is in progress, as we need this clarification for the security considerations. I got in touch with Robin and there was a misunderstanding and they had those questions because they thought we pursued the final registration. The provisional registration we targeted at this stage stands. The final registration ticket will be reopened once XLIFF 2.1 becomes CS or so.
But we are progressing well on this topic. The approved security content and the clarification of the binary vs 8bit mix up will make it smoother once we get there.

Topic: Advanced Validation
B: we discussed on the last meeting the advanced validation as it will appear on the next spec.
DF: Soroush, could you give us some update on this topic? He has been working with Felix f2f in Prague.
S: we got positive feedback. It is almost done, maybe at the end of this week. At least the core will be done for sure, including the NVDL. For modules, maximum one extra week.
DF: You could do a call for review once it is done.
S: Sure, I will do it.
DF: But also in the meantime people who can read Schematron such as Fredrik, Yves, Tom as artifacts editor etc. should have a look at the rules that are now available. Sometime in April the rules should be sufficiently vetted so we could move them to the trunk.
B: If this is viable, I will discontinue my support to my checker.
Y: My concern is a normal user trying to validate a file. Will he need advance knowledge of the rules and so on?
DF: I think a regular end user is not the target user of the schematron artcifacts as found in the spec. 
B: I will support my validation tool as long as it needs to be. It is a good thing that there are open source tools available for users. It will be good if we have something that users can easily run.
DF: We will look into it. CNGL/ADAPT should be able to host a public web service using the ruels.
But we should also have something like a library Like that other people can use to make their own web services, ideally this should be submitted as part of OKAPI.
Y: I have looked into that for Okapi, there are a lot of dependencies, might be difficult.
L: Do you know if Rodolfo has implemented the new version of his validator for XLIFF 2?
B: Last time I talked to him he said he might.
Topic: Mistakes in the spec (Soroush)
DF: I will take care of the editorial fixes, we had consensus last time, it is just pending due to lack of time on my end.
B: Will keep this item open until fixed
dF: yes, keep it open as a silent item to keep track, I will let you know once done.
Topic: SubFlows and inline codes (Ryan)
     resolved? https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201501/msg00014.html
B: Can considered this topic solved?
R: I will have a look at it and I will let you know.
[Ryan posted a follow up confirming this was resolved: http://markmail.org/message/3k3y4enye7z7gfp5]

Topic: Template/Model for TBX Mapping with XLIFF v2.0 and Higher Version 1.0 (DavidF)
dF: I am in touch with Jirka, I hope this will be resolved soon. The content for the mapping is stable, as the mapping paper has been finished between UL and BYU (Provo).

Topic: AOB relevant for XLIFF 2.1 development/ a breaking news
dF: There is an interesting EC project coordinated by Felix called FREME [https://twitter.com/h2020_freme]. Felix will contact us on behalf of the project to ask us to prioritize technical stability of some ITS 2.0 categories in XLIFF 2.1.
I think there is perfect synergy and great chance for us to get SOUs for XLIFF 2.1. It is a two-year project that has just started. They are working mainly with terminology and text analytics, but also with MT confidence. I know about at least one other implementation project that will need MT confidence.
So I will prioritize MT confidence in XLIFF 2.1 spec development.
The current draft already has good solutions for terminology and text analytics, so feel free to review these.

III Sub Committee Report (0:45 - 0:55)
dF: We are working on the preparation of the Symposium in Berlin in June. We have very good signals so far: good (and many) submissions and also good cases of implementations. We will soon announce speakers and keynote. The call for papers is closed. We will ask all the members to spread the word about the Symposium and there will also be an FTF meeting.
B: I am very excited about this Symposium. We can attract support from other communities, we have good news about implementations by big corporate users.
dF: We are also working on creating another survey on XLIFF 2.0 adoption (Lucia).

IV  Current and New Business (0:55 - )
B: There is an excellent paper that Kevin wrote on XLIFF 2.0. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/xliff-20-one-localization-standard-rule-them-all-kevin-o-donnell 
dF: Related to this, I have published in the Multilingual magazine the 2nd edition of the Localization Standards Reader with strong sections on XLIFF 2 and ITS 2.0.
Ryan: Is there a public link?
Action item for David: Contact Multilingual, try and produce a public link to the reader.

B: Meeting adjourned.


I Administration (0:00 - 0:10)
  A. Roll call
  B. Approve meeting minutes, 03 February 2015
  C. The member review period for the terms for submission of XLIFF to ISO has closed. One comment was received.
  D. Revise schedule for XLIFF 2.1    

(* indicates new since last meeting)
II XLIFF 2.1 (0:10 - 0:45)
  A. Provenance and Change Track Module (Yves)
  B. ITS IG Call 2014-11-10 - Yves
  C. Terminology data category - Yves
  D. ITS IG ACTION-56: Do write up of processing its+xliff files - Yves
  E. Provenance Data Category - Yves
  F. ITS module section(s) in the specification (Yves)
  G. *Template/Model for TBX Mapping with XLIFF v2.0 and Higher Version 1.0 (DavidF)
  H. A quick note on "Notes" (DavidF)
  I. ITS Module URI (Yves)
  J. Comment on B.2.1.2 Inline Elements section (Yves)
  K. *SubFlows and inline codes (Ryan)
     resolved? https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201501/msg00014.html
  N. Mistakes in the spec (Soroush)

III Sub Committee Report (0:45 - 0:55)

IV  Current and New Business (0:55 - )

Submitter Bryan Schnabel
GroupOASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
Access This event is visible to OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC and shared with
  • OASIS Open (General Membership)
  • General Public