UBL LCSC Minutes
Tuesday - July 9, 2002
Attendees: Tim McGrath (chair), Bill Meadows, Lisa Seaburg, Terry Schager, Ron Schuldt, Debbie Quezadaz, Monica Martin, Joe Chuisano, Sue Probert, Gunther Stuhec, Ray Seddigh.
1. Welcome from Chair and appointment of Secretary to take minutes - Joe Chuisano volunteered
2. Acceptance of previous minutes - Minutes from last 4 weeks accepted as amended, since we had quorum
3. Action arising from previous meeting
- Comments on Code vs. Identifier White Paper from Mike Adcock (Sue then All).
- Ron made comments in earlier round - how do you feel now Ron?
- Ron: Accurately reflects the distinction between code and identifier - both are necessary, and paper accurately reflects that view
- Monica - sent comments to Mike - to add more concrete examples - no changes to paper yet
- Tim - proposes we put the paper as is on web site, as with methodology doc - comments until 7/30/02 - include Monica's comment
- Work on the Tools requirements doc. (Tim and Gunther) -
- Distribute Date and Time White Paper (includes Mike Adcock comments) (Gunther)
- Gunther and Mike (?) not here - Gunther will be on call soon; defer to later
- Alan S. has made comments also
- Tim - has a concern - there needs to be something that creates the bigger picture - delves into details without defining the problem it solves - may be too pedantic
- From Alan's perspective - Tim has same concern - going into fine level of detail, but there is possibly an application-level usage of the details
- Have (a) point in time and (b)duration of time - these are the 2 lowest-level [X]'s - everything else is derived from these
- Can do this for measurements also - why do we do this for times, but not for measurements?
- If this paper did not exist, what are some of the interoperability problems that may exist?
- Tim (to Gunther) - we'd like to publish this to web site as a draft, and open up for comments
- Tim - comments will be UBL-wide comments (open to any UBL people) - but Gunther and Mike should consider handling them
- Sue - we and NDR are looking at the same subject from 2 different points of view - make sure we keep things in sync - i.e. a comment that affects one side should be sent to other side
- Lisa will publish document and ensure that it complies with the Oasis template.
- Tim - Code vs. Identifier needs to be put into template as well.
- Lisa - call Code vs. Identifier a position paper? Yes
- Gunther used template for Date/Time paper.
- Distribute draft of the Methodology Paper (Tim)
- Tim has received no comments as of today.
- What to do? Lisa would like to put out as a draft on LCSC web page, so that NDR can look at as well
- Deadline for comments 7/30/02
- We have quorum - voted on deadline (ACCEPTED)
- Is title appropriate? Reader may expect more in a document of this title; Title stands - unless someone can come up with a better title by 7/30/02
- Methodology doc (with minor amendments) will be put up on web site
- Lisa to send Tim document in proper template and typo corrections.
- Tim to give Lisa covering note for document.
- Tim - since we are asking for comments - run through liaison group? Tim will run by Jon B. - this is more of an internal comment period - liaison group will have a chance to review it later.
- Sue: Call it a "cross-posting to NDR for comments" instead of review.
- Update Schema Generator by 5 July (Gunther). -
- Gunther:it is in process and will work more next week, Tim: need this done in 2 weeks so there is some slack.
- Apply outstanding comments to the model during the week of 9th July. Then apply global changes (names, re-usable types, data type, alignment with position papers, etc.) by the 23rd July. By the 30th July we should be able to consolidate and then approve this version. This would enable us to publish in the first week of August in keeping with our Minneapolis plan.
- Finish changes to spreadsheet, develop template for Bill to work with (Lisa).
- This is done and has been distributed. We would like feedback.
- Have Order Response spreadsheet done (Lisa/Bill M.)
- Speak to Oracle about XML database (Debbie/Garrett).
- PENDING - Will ask Gunther when he joins call, Gunther - in process - started an e-mail to Debbie
4. Work plan
5. Requirements for tools and techniques
- a database be constructed using the meta-model as its schema which will become the main repository of the UBL model.
- a graphical notation such as UML Class Diagrams to provide a top-level, exploding view.
- both a. and b. should be combined in a single repository with tools to generate the appropriate views.
6. Reports on status of other UBL subcommittees
- Tools and technique sc (Arofan)
Mike's paper on Assembly - potentially another position paper, Mike will be on call next week - will discuss, Sue - people should read between now and next week
- Naming and design rules sc (anyone)
Lisa - last week's NDR call: Gunther's scripts, Facets, Code lists, etc.
Tim - will talk to Eve about Date/Time paper - ensure that we are synchronized
- Context drivers sc (Sue)
Sue - will work more on it this week with Arofan
- Context assembly sc (Arofan)
- Chairs sc (Tim)
Tim - First meeting - will be next Monday. This is the forum for subjects that overlap between groups.
7. Reports on status of other related projects
Tim - planned to issue a new review package by end of July - would include new version of library (spreadsheet model and schema) and better documentation (methodology and position papers)
We are reasonably on target if we can complete some of the housekeeping jobs
Starting next week - can apply "global QA" - editing team (see above - Lisa, Sue, etc.) will do this
- Codes and Identifies paper - editing team will ensure that we have complied with rules of that paper
- Same for other 2 position papers
- But need to agree on papers first - over next 2 weeks
- 7/23/02 - have draft form of package for us to review
- End of July - publish
Lisa - ok - editing team can perform that role
Tim - can afford some slippage on deadline, but best if we try ti keep to it.
He also needs to inform UBL liaison committee that a package is on the way for review
9. Other Business - None
10. Next meeting - Next Tuesday, 16 July 2002, same telephone and conference numbers.