board-busdev-thought-leaders message

Subject: Minutes from 17 Jan 2024 meeting

We kicked off 2024 with a very productive Bizdev Advisory Committee call today. Thanks to all the Directors who attended.

Attendees: Jason, Jay, Vasileios, Francis, Carol

Committee housekeeping
  • Jason volunteered to chair the Bizdev Advisory Committee as Omar is unable to continue in the role. Thanks, Jason!
  • We discussed changing or alternating our Committee meeting time and decided to schedule future calls once a month but keep them at the current day/time, which accommodates most Directors. We may add aÂsecond call at an alternate time, as Duncan suggested, if there is enough interest and if another Board member will volunteer to lead that call.
  • Jason suggested that our monthly call follow a standard agenda, focused on identifying new bizdev opportunities and discussing status of projects underway (and how Board members can help). As appropriate, we may also brainstorm on ways to refine our programs and policies to positively affect bizdev (e.g., combine OP and TC tracks, restructure dues/benefits offering, etc.)
  • We will request a regular slot on full Board meetings to update Directors on Committee discussions and activities.
AI: Carol to update Committee calendar in Kavi.Â
AI: Carol to draft an opportunities slide for Jason's review and presentation on the next Board call.

Signature Partnership Program
  • Francis described our progress to date and his intention to begin prospect outreach in Feb.
AI: Francis will continue to update the Committee on a monthly basis and work individually with Directors on specific prospect outreach.

OASIS Executive Roundtable Workshop
  • Francis updated the Committee on the success of our disinformation roundtable in DC last month.Â
AI: Francis to ask Harm Jan about how DAD could better liaise with European regulators. Consider hosting an executive roundtable in Europe similar to the one we did in DC.
AI: Jay and Carol to use Roundtable Summary Report (currently being written by Jamie) to determine how we could get Microsoft to either participate in DAD or expand/revise our disinformation work in a way that they could support.

CIS Grant
  • Jason suggested OASIS apply for a CIS Cybersecurity GrantÂas a way to fund resources for specificÂactivities that support our standards.Â
  • Vasileios observed that grantsÂcome with specific reporting obligations--technical and financial--so weÂwill need to monitor the implementation.
AI: Carol to inviteÂthe OCA PGB and chairs of CTI, CACAO, CSAF, OpenC2 to a call to discuss ideas for a potentialÂsubmission.Â
AI: Jason to help with lead the planning call.Â
AI: Vasileios to help with writing the grant proposal,Âif members decide to move forward

Project Pipeline
  • Unmanned Traffic ManagementÂ
    A small but well connected prospect is drafting an OP charter now. He will try to recruit initial sponsors from his contact base. He would like the OP to operate under BSL, the Business Source License, which we do not currently support. If he succeeds in getting sufficient funding to form the OP (and it's not clear yet if that will happen), Jamie will evaluate BSL and the full Board will be asked to approve its use (or not). Jason does not believe BSL is an appropriate option for OPs; however, further discussion would be premature. No action is needed at this time.

  • STIX extension for Space (and other areas)
    Jason introduced Carol to Space ISAC Executive Director, who is interested in starting a TC to develop extensions for STIX to protect against cyber threats to our space assets.
    Committee discussed how there might be other opportunities for industry-specific STIX extensions. Jason suggested AI, 5G, and Operational Technology.
AI: Carol to ask MITRE (start with Jon Baker) about potential for OASIS to host work on a STIX extension for AI (relevant to their previous plans) per Jason's suggestion
AI: Carol to continue working with SPACE ISAC Executive Director on forming TC charter.
  • ReCoF and other projects not proposed by standards experts
    Francis observed that OASIS is moving into new areas (e.g. recycled materials (ReCoF), textile circularity, etc.) where the domain experts don't have expertise developing standards. To ensure they succeed, we'll need to bring in more support than we normally for TCs and OPs. Jason observed it will be easier if we need to bring in someone with expertise in building standards versus someone with both standards and domain expertise.
    To fund this resource, the Committee discussed using a portion of dues from a Premier Sponsor (if the OP has any) as well as offering a fee-waived individual membership and glory, which may appeal to consultants seeking to raise their visibility in the domain.
Bizdev Heroes
Special thanks to two Board Directors who had an especially large impact on our bizdev recently.Â
We literally couldn't do it without you!

--

CarolÂGeyer

Chief Development Officer

OASIS Open

ÂÂÂ
+1 941-284-0403
carol.geyer@oasis-open.org
www.oasis-open.org

This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately, and doÂnot disseminate, distribute, or copy the contents of this message

 Think before you print.