dita message

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 June 2023 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Eliot will respond to dita-comment asking about restriction of key reference ID targets to non-topics elements.
2. Kris will share her bookmarks, particularly for Jarno's 'real-time' latest version of 2.0 spec, with the list.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 6 June 2023
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Christina Rothwell

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: none

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202305/msg00020.html (Harrison, 29 May 2023)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Eliot approved by TC

3. Announcements
Any announcements?
- Eliot; status of keyification program at ServiceNow. Before, they only used keys for strings, not UIs or other refs. They have 4 active streams of development, and content gets moved between streams all the time. They use Zoomin for delivery, so they've got about 40 different versions that get delivered. Before the keyification project, they had multiple tuples of xrefs, each included a URL ref for each server, and the URLs included product version info; it was a mess.
Once Scott and I were ready to migrate, we had to do all the updates within two weeks, all at once across 4 instances of product. And while we did the tech migration, we also had to train 200 writers. So on Jan. 27th, we threw switch, migrated everything, and 3 days later told writers to switch.
Since then, we've been getting the processing all fixed; biggest challenge was building the cross-deliverable linking; we had to implement processing so that for every root map, we generate a set of key defs that link to where those are published; we have filtering that filters out everything but correct keys.
Also, we had to implement DITA support for our Python tools. We're going to try to get our Python tooling out as an open source project.
- Kris; congratulations; it would be great if you can get the Python tooling into open source.

4. Action items and volunteer tasks
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
Eliot: Look at his original e-mail about "Cascading attribute values" and consider @scope and @format. See also minutes/action items from 10 January 2023.
- Eliot; did a reasonably complete draft of cascading rules, and forwarded it to Kris and Robert.
Kris & Robert: Consider Eliot's latest e-mail about "Cascading attribute values" and consider where adjustments are need in regard to text and examples
Stan: Check with Bill Burns and Keith S-R on the status of work on glossary; assess scope COMPLETED
- Stan; Keith sent me dome data;should I put itin Kavi?
- Kris; a good idea
Zoe: Check with her Synopsys colleague Chris to see if he'd be interested in joining the TC,
- Zoe; I reached out to Chris; he's swamped until end of year
- Kris; OK

- Robert; I updated bookmap models for data; that's done
- Kris; I'll add that AI back in before archiving agenda

5. Re: Rework of cascading processing rules
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00040.html (Kimber, 21 February 2022)
On hold until editors meet

6. dita-comment issues
Why are key reference ID targets restricted to non-topics elements?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/202304/msg00000.html (Chris Trenkamp, Siemens, 27 April 2023)
- Robert; a key, by definition, represents a specific topic, so you don't need to also include that topic's ID. If you want to get to a child of a topic, the slash is for getting to sub-topic elements. If we allowed a topic ID to come after the slash, it would become ambiguoous.
- Eliot; another implication, if you have a doc that has nested topics, you need a specific key for each topic that's addressed.
- Kris; who will respond to this question?
- Eliot; I can do it.
***ActionItem: Eliot will respond to dita-comment asking about restriction of key reference ID targets to non-topics elements.
Dita 2.0 Learning and Training Content specialization
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/202305/msg00000.html (kehua.chang@siemens.com, 24 May 2023)
[no discussion of L&T issue]

7. Cascading Edge Case: Cascade @dir and @xml:lang from parent map when referencing a branch
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202305/msg00019.html (Kimber, 26 May 2023)
- Eliot; we need clarification of this in spec. I discovered there are 4 @s that don't cascade from map to map. We explain @format and @scope, but there are also @xml:lang and @dir, which come from the XML spec. If you're ref'ing a branch within a submap, problem is that if the submap specifies the @xml:lang or @dir, but yuo're only ref'ing a branch within that submap, it's not clear whether the @xml:lang or @dir should be applied to that branch. I think xml:lang and @dir fall outside the cascading rules, they apply to the complete doc, even if it wouldn't be clear otherwise. Even when you're ref'ing a branch in a submap, all the @xml:lang and @dir still apply.
- Robert; not sure that's entirely correct, but I think it's allowed within spec. I think you're looking at 1.3 language.
- Kris; we definitely revised topics arount @xml:lang and @dir significantly for 2.0.
- Robert; original language was that @xml:lang and @dir were part of the doc; you can't change a language by referencing it from another language, and that's why it's explicitly not cascading. But the language in 2.0 is flexible, and allows the interpretation Eliot wants. In a case where you don't have a language value set, then you can take it from the @xml:lang from the root map, or an intermediate map, and take it from there. (see 2.0 processing expectation of xml:lang).
- Eliot; so submaps that don't specify language get the nearest ancestor's language, but the processor has the choice to use that default or not, and same logic applies when I'm referencing a branch. in case the branch is in a doc with an explicit language set.
- Robert; it's recommended to set the language on root map, but if another map pulls it in from somewhere, if @xml:lang is set, then it's used.
- Eliot; i don't read this language as obviously applying to the branch case; it doesn't say @xml:lang applies to all subelements regardless of how its referenced.
- Kris; we have that covered in discussion of @xml:lang
- Robert;so, e.g., if you have a map that specifies Korean at root level, than that applies to whatever you pull in.
- Eliot; so I may need to revisit the way I stated the cascading. @ stuff.
- Robert; but we don't want to repeat the info
- Eliot; I just want to make sure I'm not contradicting this @xml:lang and @dir language, so I'll have to look at it. It may be enough to include this in an example, so I'll do that. Thanks for clarifying where I saw this ambiguity.
- Kris; take a look at what we have in 2.0; we spent a lot of time revising the @xml:lang and @dir content.
- Robert; and one of the examples is about what you wanted clarified.
- Kris; we thought the example was a bit contrived, but the best way to illustrate the way this works. Does anyone else have clients that regularly come up with this issue?
***ActionItem: Kris will share her bookmarks, particularly for Jarno's 'real-time' latest version of 2.0 spec, with the list.

8. Technical content review C: Programming, software, and UI domains
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202301/msg00005.html (Anderson, 09 January 2023)
Status of review
Participation: Eliot, Kris, Robert, Tammy, Zoe, Stan, Bill, Frank, Nancy
NEW Final status
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202306/msg00000.html (Anderson, 01 June 2023)
- Robert; all comments addressed, all done

9. Review F: Syntax diagram domain
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00056.html (Eberlein, 28 February 2023)
Status of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00002.html (Eberlein, 07 March 2023)
No updates, waiting on editors work
- Robert; Frank and I need to discuss rendered examples, and I need to work on this.

10. Review H: Release management domain
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00018.html (Eberlein, 21 March 2023)
Release-management domain white paper
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202304/msg00000.html (Eberlein, 03 April 2023)
No updates, waiting on editors work
- Kris; I'll work on this this weekend.

11. Review J: Bookmap metadata elements
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202305/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 02 May 2023)
Update on review participation (Robert)
Content model changes suggested for bookmeta elements:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202305/msg00015.html (Anderson, 16 May 2023)
Updates?
- Robert; I'm working on this, the content model stuff is updated.

12. FYI -- Continued interest in DITA glossaries
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202305/msg00018.html (Doherty, 23 May 2023)
- Stan; I went out and gathered stuff from folks who have glossaries, now its time to have the TC discuss what's come up.
- Kris; just fyi, Bill is not going to continue TC membership after his expires, so he's no longer a voting member.

13. Editorial work on DITA for Technical Content 2.0 element-reference topics
Editorial assignments, deadlines, review maps
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202301/msg00035.html (Eberlein, 31 January 2023)
Editorial guidelines
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00019.html (Eberlein, 21 March 2023)
General resources:
Recording of 20 December 2022 session
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202212/msg00033.html
GitHub education that the TC did in 2018
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202212/msg00034.html (Eberlein, 21 December 2022)
Status?
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA2.0TechnicalContentReviews
- Kris; we still have a few items to close out, plus some stuff from concept and reference. Dawn, if you. can look at the example, that's great, if not let us know
- Dawn; I can do them
- Kris; so we have glossary and bookmap structure upcoming; other open items are small domains - abbrev forms and glossref. Can anyone take on bookmap structural items?
- Nancy; I'll do it but not alone; it's pretty big.
- Eliot; how big is it?
- Kris ~ 30 topics. what about glossary?
- Eliot; I have an interest in glossary, but not sure of time
- Stan, Scott; ditto.
- Kris; folks, please think about this; I'd like this spec work finished this year, so we can releaswe 2.0 in 2024.
- Eliot; good idea.
- Kris; but to do it, we'll all have to carve out time to work on spec.
- Nancy; I'll reach out to tammy re bookmap structure.

11:47 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 June 2023

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison