dita message

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 28 November 2023 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItem:
1. Kris will reach out to Amber to have her join next week's call to discuss glossary material.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 28 November 2023
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Bob Johnson, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Leroy Steinbacher

Business
========

Regrets: Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Christina Rothwell

1. Approve minutes from previous business meeting
07 November 2023 (Harrison, 14 November 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00014.html
Kris moved, 2nd by Eliot, approved by TC
[approved as to-be-cleaned up by Nancy]

2. Announcements
DITA Europe is scheduled for February 2023. The call for speakers is closed.
ConVex is scheduled for 8-10 April 2024 in Minneapolis. The call for speakers> is expected to close on 15 December 2024.
Adobe DITA world is scheduled for May 2023. If you are interested in speaking, send an e-mail to techcomm@adobe.com.
- Bob; on Dec. 13, a speaker will be joining us on the TC call to discuss pharma issues.
- Kris; Bob, you can add an update to our agenda, or I will. NB: if you're logged in to github, you can update this wiki.

3. Glossary issues for discussion (continued from 07 November 2023)
Dawn Stevens (01 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00001.html
Scott Hudson (01 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00007.html
Amber Swope (06 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00007.html
Kris Eberlein (07 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00010.html
NEW Bob Johnson (13 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00013.html
Glossary whitepaper links (Eberlein, 07 November 2023) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00011.html
Action item for all voting members: Review glossary content in draft spec as well as white papers
- Kris; Amber will be on our call next week. who reviewed glossary topics and white papers?
- Eliot; topics but not white papers
- Scott; ditto
- Kris; please do this before next meeting, a number of points have been raised, a summary is in the minutes. At this late point in time, we don't want to introduce changes to the markup for this specialization; we need to focus on how we can clarify spec wordings. If we can finish out glossary content, including abbrev-form, we'll be done with DITA for techcontent.
- Robert; I'd love to have this done and put to bed. We're not making major changes to markup, just trying to make it clearer
- Scott; biggest question is 'how to handle multiple definitions?'
- Eliot; should we just have multiple glossary topics for each definition?
- Kris; the original design was for one single topic to define one sense of the term. If folks wanted to do something different, e.g. dictionary type defintion, that's not what this was designed for. But of course it can be used that way, just with a bit of tweaking.
- Scott; then it's just a processing to merge them.
- Kris; you can use processing, or use the content model such that yuo can put a lot in glossdef element if you want to, even if it's not the way the element was really defined. So, do we loosen the model? or not do that? That material would be fodder for a white paper.
- Robert; loosening the model is a problem because glossdef is specialized from abstract, and there can't be more than one of those in a document. Adding markup for that would be ugly.
- Kris; if someone had done this at beginning of 2.0, it could have been considered, but not now, it's too late. We could still remove things, but only things no one was using (e.g. as we did for the subjectscheme and classification domains) But glossary elements are used a lot, and we don't have data about what's being used.
- Eliot; looking at model of abstract, it includes div, so there's a reasonable solution for multiple definitions based on div
- Robert; yes, it can be done, but you'd want to combine it with constraints, so it's not trivial.
- Eliot; but not really difficult.
- Kris; and I think folks are using it in just that way. but Dawn specifically raised the question 'should it be just one definition?', and I think we're going to have to come to consensus on that, and clarify the language, and move on. If we need a Content Fusion review of glossary topics. I want to finish this by end of December, so we can go back to base DITA spec issues and get 2.0 to review by July.

4. Learning and training rework
Eliot Kimber (14 November 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202311/msg00018.html
- Kris; Eliot, it looks like youre working on this. Are you a maintainer of this repo, if you're not, you need to be.
- Eliot; looks like I don't have admin rights for it.
- Robert; none of us has admin rights, only OASIS has them, we just have merge and commit authority.
- Kris; know we updated some stuff in that repo,
- Robert; so we just need to replace whats in learning dcotypes directory with new stuff?
- Eliot; in 1.3 we added a new version to allow blocks everywhere you'd put text. So for 2.0, I didn't see any reason to change what we did for 1.3, so anything that conforms with old L&T domain also conforms with L&T2 domain (but not vice versa). So any content using old L&T would work with 2.0. For any L&T2 content, it will also work, but you need to change L&T2 to L&T. I didn't change any content models from L&T2.
- Kris; so we have a new L&T domain, that's the first time we've done that kind of thing to aid in migration. Any thoughts?
- Eliot; because migration is so easy, folks don't really need the aid, but I made one anyway.
- Robert; we only added it that way because we couldn't be backwards incompatibele, so I think we should remove the old one and rename the new version.
- Kris; it makes me a little quesasy. Did you update the DTDs?
- Eliot; yes, so I'll remove my migration aid. I was thinking of SAP, but they can do their own.
- Kris; I'll key your open ActionItem till you have everything in the repo.

5. Report back from LavaCon 2023
[hold till Dawn is present]

6. What parts of the old DITA TC wiki did you use?
To design a new wiki, we need to know what content we need to plan for
[hold for Christina and Frank]

7. Action items
See Current action items
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/wiki/Action-items
- Kris; everyone, try to address the glossary ActionItem If you have clarifications we can handle on the list, that would be great.

11:37 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 28 November 2023

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison