docbook message

Subject: Re: [docbook] Tabs and <formalgroup> content model

> Hmn, apart from layout issues and simplification, is there a reason
> why it's not allowed, let's say, add a <figure> and an <example>
> inside a <formalgroup>?

Itâs mostly a question of semantics, I think. A formalgroup that
contains four figures is, in some reasonable sense, âa kind of figureâ.
But what is a formalgroup that contains an example and a table? Does it
appear in the list of tables? In the list of examples? In both, or in
neither?

> Nevertheless, it would be helpful if we had an example of how this element
> should be used. Or maybe some further explanations on use cases and when it
> makes sense. Or when it's not. However, this may not be feasible and perhaps
> too specific for a reference.

Yes. I hadnât noticed that TDG doesnât have an example for it. Thatâs an
oversight: https://github.com/docbook/defguide/issues/109

> After thinking about it... maybe an alternative could be to have a
> table.

I think Iâd just group adjacent elements before I used a table. Using a
table feels reallyâwrong! But I also think it would be completely
reasonable to invent your own extension for this purpose. Try it out for
a bit and report back what works or doesnât!

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norm Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>