office message

Subject: Re: [office] Agenda for ODF TC Teleconference, 13 November 2023

Hi Jamie

I spoke informally earlier today to Andrew Dryden of ISO, during a break in the JTC 1 meeting, and we briefly discussed the ODF 1.3 re-formatting issue. Re-formatting to A4 does seem to be a requirement, but the ODF TC discussed this on today's call, and we may have a solution that avoids excessive work by the editors: adjust page margins to compensate for the change in page dimensions. I'm aiming to discuss this informally with Andrew Dryden tomorrow, to determine whether ISO would be happy with our just changing the margins. The left and right margins are quite generous already, to allow for printing the Letter-format document to A4.

Assuming that ISO accept the margin changes, a potential further hurdle could be their request to provide the document in MS Word format, as this could disrupt the layout, despite our best efforts to compensate for the change in page dimensions. Again I'll check this out with Andrew Dryden.

So far as the next edition of ODF is concerned (ODF 1.4, which is at an advanced stage or preparation prior to entering the formal approval process), can you see any issues in our formatting the document for A4 from the outside, so as to avoid this problem in the future? It would mean that the next OASIS edition of ODF would be A4 rather than Letter format.

Incidentally, I also spoke briefly today with Norbert Bensalem, the PAS mentor for OASIS, and he is quite concerned about ISO creating new hurdles for PAS submitters to jump, such as the page format change, so this may come up in further discussions later this week.

Kind regards,

Francis