board-busdev-thought-leaders message

Subject: New TC?

I canât make meeting because Iâll be chairing OpenC2 TC at same time. Attached is a potential new TC that would get us involved in SBOM. Iâm keying off âI don't think there's a standards body tasked with defining details about how a hash about a component should be constructedâ. Itâs a complex topic and a spec is needed. Iâd be willing to help (but not chair). This is a good example of how do we get new TCâs stood up of people who arenât currently OASIS zealots. I think it will take a couple of us zealots to just stand it up and then they will come.

--

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

From: 'Lars Francke' via cisa-sbom-tooling <cisa-sbom-tooling@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 5:33âAM
To: cisa-sbom-tooling@googlegroups.com <cisa-sbom-tooling@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [cisa-sbom-tooling] Hashes (in Rust)

Hi Nisha,

thanks for the response.

> I donât think this mailing list is involved with implementation of hashing packages and would just use the hash value provided by the package manager or whatever metadata is available.

This is exactly what it is about.

Currently, Rust des not provide a way to get hashes at all.

So, this is our chance to tell them what we need.

I don't think there's a standards body tasked with defining details about how a hash about a component should be constructed which might make them meaningless (as in the case with Rust currently) even though they - in theory - could provide a strong data point for validating my dependencies.

Cheers,

Lars

Lars Francke

CTO

mobil  +49 (172) 4554978

Book an appointment: https://calendly.com/lars-francke/

Stackable GmbH

Thomas-Mann-StraÃe 8

22880 Wedel

Germany

www.stackable.tech

we support and automate open source Streaming and Big Data infrastructure

Amtsgericht Pinneberg, Registernummer HRB 15351 PI

GeschÃftsfÃhrer: Lars Francke, SÃnke Liebau, Sebastian Amtage
USt.Id.-Nr.
DE334447979