office message

Subject: Re: [office] Draft for enhanced colors

Hi,

I am missing the point of these "enhanced colours", or how these "enhanced colours" are in fact enhanced.

All colours are representable as #rrggbb. How they are presented by a consumer or were presented by a producer of an ODF file is completely in the control of that producer or consumer. So it seems to me that these "enhanced colours" do not provide any new features that applications using ODF could not already provide.

On the other hand, adding the possibility of storing colours in these other encoding ways in ODF requires all consumers to know how to translate them into #rrggbb. So while it may be simpler for an application that wants to use these "enhanced colours" to store them directly, this is traded off against all other consumers having to be able to understand these enhanced colours.

So please elaborate what would be gained by this for the ODF community.

Thank you

Andreas

On 2023-03-28 2:45 p.m., Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi all,

as mentioned in the last call, there is ongoing work in LibreOffice for implementing theme colors and multi-color gradients. I try to assist the implementation in regard to ODF.

The attached file contains one aspect of this work, defining an enhanced color model. Please have a look and give me feedback.

Kind regards,
Regina

Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD FTICA (he/him/his)

Registrar & Associate Vice-President, Enrolment and Planning

Professor, Mathematical & Computing Sciences

Direct: +1 780 479 9290
Toll-Free: +1 866 479 5200

Concordia University of
                                        Edmonton

concordia.ab.ca

Concordia University of
                                      Edmonton Twitter Concordia University of
                                      Edmonton Instagram Concordia University of
                                      Edmonton Facebook