office message

Subject: Re: [office] Draft for enhanced colors

Hi Francis,

Francis Cave schrieb am 29.03.2023 um 19:26:
Hi Regina

Sorry, this is not my area of expertise, so I may well be asking naÃve questions!

This is an early draft and only a part of the total work. So please ask whenever something is not clear.

I'm trying to see how this fits into the existing schema. All the elements in your proposal appear to be new.

Yes.

 I appreciate that this is an early draft,

I have attached the complete work now. That is an early draft too, but might give you a picture of the intended changes.

but I see that you expect the enhanced colour model to be available in four contexts:

- <draw:gradient-stop>
- <style:fill-enhanced-color>
- <style:stroke-enhanced-color>
- <style:char-enhanced-color>.

Yes.

Should <draw:gradient-stop> be <draw:gradient-step>?

The <draw:gradient-stop> is the same for <draw:gradient> as the <svg:stop> for <svg:linearGradient> and <svg:radialGradient>. It allows gradients based on more than two colors. It is the same as <gs> in <gsLst> in OOXML.

You can have one gradient with transitions from red over yellow over green to blue, for example.

Because of the risk of confusion with draw:gradient-step-count, I have advised the developer not to use <draw:gradient-step>. "stop" is used because that is used in OOXML and SVG terminology.

I ask, because there is an existing attribute draw:gradient-step-count, which might be related, and I don't understand that meaning of "stop" in this context.

The attribute draw:gradient-step-count tells, whether the gradient is smooth or stepped. Stepped gradients do neither exist in SVG nor in OOXML.

What do you imagine would be the parent elements of the above four elements?

<draw:gradient-stop> is part of a gradient definition in <draw:gradient> element. <draw:fill-complex-color> and <draw:line-complex-color> (as I have named it in my current version) will become child elements of <style:graphic-properties> <draw:char-complex-color> will become child element of <style:text-properties>

Using such complex color model is currently not planned for further objects. But my intension it to define these complex colors in such a way that they can easily be used for other objects, e.g. page background, which would be <style:page-layout-properties>.

If fills, strokes and chars can have enhanced colors, are there other contexts in which enhanced colours could be used, such as extrusion, or the color of a material in the dr3d namespace?

As <extrusionClr> in OOXML can be <schemeClr> with e.g. <lumMod> child element, it is likely, that such color model will be used for extrusion too. The current simple color is a draw:secondary-fill-color attribute in <style:graphic-properties>. So it would likely become <draw:secondary-fill-complex-color> element in <style:graphic-properties>. The color of material of 3D-objects is part of <style:graphic-properties>, so already covered. Use for the lights of a 3D-scene (those would be in dr3d namespace) is unlikely.

I appreciate that an important purpose here is to increase interoperability with OOXML, but should we stop there or be looking for a more comprehensive enhancement?

I have tried to build it so, that extending is easily possible if developers/users of an ODF application need further color spaces, color notations or color transformations. LO is not working on such, however CSS-like extensions might be useful for online office-applications, for example. But I do not want to be proactive without a real demand.

If Microsoft wants to add other then the suggested RGBHex, RGBZeroToOne and Scheme types for their export to ODF [hallo Alfred ;)], that can easily be integrated. The color transformations are implementation-defined anyway in my proposal. OOXML does not describe the algorithm clear enough so that implementers ask in Microsoft forums. [e.g. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/eb151eb0-e539-4f12-a453-1ff46dc28578/satmod-satoff-documentation?forum=os_binaryfile]

Kind regards,
Regina

Kind regards,

Francis