< Return to Calendar

* 2nd Tuesday - Regular XLIFF OMOS TC telecenference (Conference Call) (Conference Call)
Name * 2nd Tuesday - Regular XLIFF OMOS TC telecenference (Conference Call) (Conference Call)
Time Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 05:00pm to 06:00pm WEST
(Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 04:00pm to 05:00pm UTC)

See the private action item for dial in details



A Admin

1.       Roll call – quorum achieved

2.       Approval of June 28 meeting minutes

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff-omos/email/archives/201607/msg00005.html  – DF proposed, Chase seconded, no dissent

3.       Welcome James Hayes from BYU (computational linguist, focused on conversion routines and mappings applied to TBX) Will be on the TC until at least end of August


B Material

1.       XLIFF OM

a.       Latest diagram posted here: https://github.com/DavidFatDavidF/XLIFFOM/blob/4ec8f66aad7a31536abd9ed6adac8ffb8c5170f8/model/Class_Diagram.PNG

[permalink to July 12 state]


[current link]

b.      Added sub-unit with corresponding source and target elements

               As agreed before, a single data type is used to represent both segment and ignorable elements, distinguishing them by a boolean attribute, where sub-unit with segment=”yes” stands for <segment> and sub-unit with segment=”no” stands for <ignorable>.

The current diagram shows only <sc> from the array of atomic inlines, but others will be added later in the same fashion. They can all compose content together with text strings as a Primitive Type. We will also try to express as many XLIFF Constraints as possible. 

c.       The root data type is LIFF instead of XLIFF, as we want an XML independent interchange file format.


2.       JLIFF

a.       In a bit of trouble as Ryan has no bandwidth, while Yves is working today on ISO audit for his company.

b.       We would also need to find out about expressivity limitations of JSON Schema, does any one have experience working with it?

Need to identify TC members who can work on JSON schema in parallel with work on LIFF OM

c.       Robert: Could work on a draft schema / contribute to it although no expert – see spec on json-schema.org

d.      Felix: Not much interest in declarative validation methods within W3C. Most validation techniques are custom code based.

e.      dF: How do people check that a JSON file is well formed?

f.        Chase: Not sure there exists a JSON validator. Checking is usually done within the APIs which contain the JSON structure. I have not heard of any validation platform for JSON other than custom code within APIs.

dF: CMIS TC has a JSON Browser Binding, it might be useful. Anyhow, it should be useful to have a transparent way to facilitate automated validation, at least for the structural part. I see however thet eventually we will have to develop some non-declarative validation methods. Just trying to keep declarative and hence transparent for as long and as deeep as possible. We should start a conversation on this topic on the mailing list. Robert, would you please share us your suggestions for tooling options?

g.       dF: need to find way to facilitate the automatic validation of JSON file

h.      Robert: JSON very pragmatic, community still not converging on schema, with preference given to low level approach using sample content instead of schema. For the sake of progress, we could draft a JSON schema based on the current specification.

dF: we don’t have a specification yet, just JLIFF examples on the wiki https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff-omos/Examples

Plus of course the JLIFF schema needs to be aligned with the OM diagram https://github.com/DavidFatDavidF/XLIFFOM/blob/master/model/Class_Diagram.PNG  and later on with any prose spec for the OM and/or JLIFF.

Robert: Sure the schema can be started following the OM class diagram.

dF: I guess it should be. as it gives the structure and all multiplicity constraints..


3.       TBX Mapping

a.       James was the lead author on the paper that defines the mapping


This has been properly submitted by James on 24th May through the comment list



b.      dF and James to work off-line on the TBX mapping.

dF: We will start that on SVN (not waiting for the git repo) based on the document model provided by TC admin.. https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/xliff-omos/trunk/%21OASIS_Front_Matter/xliff-tbx-v1.0-wd01.docx

I will explain on the public mailing list how to work with the TC SVN and the Docbook template. Essentially your OASIS credentials give you write access to the TC SVN here: https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/xliff-omos/


C Other Topics

  1. Report on working meeting in Dublin

dF: We had a report from Chase last time on the possible TMX replacement discussion, and  the draft minutes for the Dublin Info Sessions in scope of the OMOS TC have been sent earlier to the mailing list (https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-omos/201607/msg00004.html), it is also available to the public FEISGILTT webpage (http://locworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/FEISGILTT-2016-XLIFF-OMOS-Public-Info-sessions.pdf).

I bcced all non-member attendees on the above referenced working list message and have not received any objections from the public so far.

Several of the TC members attended the meeting: Ryan, Kevin, David, Felix, Soroush, Chase, Loic... So we can approve it in our committee for the record. I formally propose to make the above draft meeting minutes the minutes of record of the FEISGILTT 2016 XLIFF OMOS Public Info Sessions, onJune 7-8. 2016.

a.       Meeting minutes from Dublin “Public Infosession” (June 7 and 8, 2016) are approved (dF proposed, Loïc seconded, no objections).


2.       Next meeting on July 26, then we will skip the August meetings and reconvene in September (September 13, 2016).


3.       Liaisons – Alan appointed as a liaison from ISO TC37 SC3. The purpose to is keep aligned the inline data model of TBX with XLIFF 2 and the LIFF OM. dF will seek appointment to SC3 from NSAI to be able to represent XLIFF and OMOS on SC3.


4.       Promotion – dF: preparing a submission for ASLING (http://www.asling.org/tc38/?page_id=2), one of the oldest conferences in Computer-Aided Translation, to describe the high-level benefits of XLIFF to the business audience.


XLIFF OMOS nominated for the Outstanding New Initiative award

https://www.oasis-open.org/open-standards-cup  – winner to be selected soon by OASIS TAB.


Meeting adjourned



A. Admin:

1. Roll call

2. Approve meeting minutes from June 28, 2016


3. Welcome  James Hayes


B. Material:

1. Technical Deliverables



latest PNG preview of the UML class diagram


Wiki on Papyrus: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff-omos/WorkingWithPapyrus


Still referencing the lates diagram version from Lucian





Need to revamp work on JLIFF and possibly other bindings and serialization to have at leat three serializations to compare when talking about the abstract model.

Somewhat older email from Yves on JSON alpha implementation in Lynx


Spec GIT Request – update


Still working on the temporary GitHub repo

Robin said this is in progress and one of last decision points should happen around mid June. Once this becomes available it should be easy to migrate from the temporary github repo managed by merzbauer (dF)

The ticket has been reopened (https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TCADMIN-2303).


TBX mapping


TBX Mapping  based on a published paper https://www.localisation.ie/resources/publications/2015/260

This has been properly submitted by James on 24th May through the comment list


James has also joined the TC to help with publsihing this mapping.


Report from  Working meetings at FESGILTT Dublin, June 7 and 8



XLIFF OMOS related draft minutes published



Move to approve the OMOS Info Session minutes

TMX Successor work?


May be possible to move ahead w/o the TMX IP transfer

See TMX Symposium minutes:






TC members, please use group e-mail for communication / comments

Non-TC members, use the commenting facility (send a comment button on TC public page)


2. Assignment of editor roles for the technical deliverables

Actually, we're now ready to move on the TBX mapping front, we're just waiting for the git repo, could decide to move ahead on SVN with this one..

Tabled for JLIFF for now

OM, dF about to try and extract XML independent prose from the XLIFF 2 spec


3. TMX Contribution from ETSI


dF contacted Jamie on 18th Feb and 8th Mar, and March 30 but no answer so far.

Copyright transfer agreement needs to be negotiated between ETSI and OASIS.

Because this is dragging for so long we might think of dropping the work on TMX as such

See Report from Dublin TMX Symposium

Report from Dublin TMX Symposium



4. Liaisons

New: ISO TC37 SC3

Alan has been apponted as liaison here. OASIS requested to seek formal liaison status. dF to join SC3 in the meantime to assist work on TBX inline markup


ISO/IEC JTC1 SC38 wrt reference architecture for big data. (dF)


5. Promotion

Alan looking for someone to write up a high level paper on Why XLIFF 2 (and XLIFF OMOS?)

dF to submit this as a proposal abstract for ASLING T&C38 http://www.asling.org/tc38/?page_id=2



Next meeting on July 26, 2016

Submitter Dr. David Filip
GroupOASIS XLIFF Object Model and Other Serializations (XLIFF OMOS) TC
Access This event is visible to OASIS XLIFF Object Model and Other Serializations (XLIFF OMOS) TC and shared with
  • OASIS Open (General Membership)
  • General Public