OASIS Web Services Discovery and Web Services Devices Profile (WS-DD) TC
Enabling secure Web service messaging, discovery, description, and eventing on resource-constrained endpoints
Completed:The Technical Committee was closed by TC Administration on 28 November 2016 and is no longer active.
Archives of its work remain publicly accessible and are linked from this page. OASIS appreciates the efforts of all those who participated in this TC.
Table of Contents
- Technical Work Produced by the Committee
- Mailing Lists and Comments
- Additional Information
WS-DD Specifications PublishedDevices Profile for Web Services 1.1, SOAP-over-UDP 1.1, and Web Services Dynamic Discovery (WS-Discovery) 1.1 have now been published on the OASIS Standards page at http://www.oasis-open.org/specs. Here are direct links to the OASIS Standard versions of the specifications and related files:
Devices Profile for Web Services Version 1.1
- Editable Source (Authoritative): http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/dpws/1.1/os/wsdd-dpws-1.1-spec-os.docx
- HTML: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/dpws/1.1/os/wsdd-dpws-1.1-spec-os.html
- PDF: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/dpws/1.1/os/wsdd-dpws-1.1-spec-os.pdf
- Namespace: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/ns/dpws/2009/01
- Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/dpws/1.1/os/wsdd-dpws-1.1-schema-os.xsd
Web Services Dynamic Discovery (WS-Discovery) Version 1.1
- Editable Source (Authoritative): http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-spec-os.docx
- HTML: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-spec-os.html
- PDF: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-spec-os.pdf
- Namespace: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/ns/discovery/2009/01
- Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-schema-os.xsd
- WSDL: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/discovery/1.1/os/wsdd-discovery-1.1-wsdl-os.wsdl
SOAP-over-UDP Version 1.1
- Editable Source (Authoritative): http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/soapoverudp/1.1/os/wsdd-soapoverudp-1.1-spec-os.docx
- HTML: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/soapoverudp/1.1/os/wsdd-soapoverudp-1.1-spec-os.html
- PDF: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/soapoverudp/1.1/os/wsdd-soapoverudp-1.1-spec-os.pdf
WS-DD Specifications Approved as OASIS Standards
Voting concluded on June 30, 2009, and DPWS 1.1, WS-Discovery 1.1, and SOAP-over-UDP 1.1 have been approved as OASIS Standards. Here are links to the ballot pages where you can see the results of the voting:
- DPWS: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=1723
- WS-Discovery: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=1724
- SOAP-over-UDP: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=1725
Thanks very much to all of you who participated in the work on these standards, including those who voted in favor of their approval. We also thank the organizations who generously supported the members of the TC in their participation.
WS-DD Charter Clarification Approved
On May 7, 2009, the OASIS Web Services Discovery and Web Services Devices Profile (WS-DD) Technical Committee unanimously approved a clarification of its charter to include additional deliverables. The updated charter is now posted at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ws-dd/charter.php. The final paragraph of the original charter was replaced with the following:
Following approval of Devices Profile for Web Services Version 1.1, WS-Discovery Version 1.1, and SOAP-over-UDP Version 1.1 specifications as OASIS standards, the TC will enter an extended maintenance period during which it may adopt Approved Errata for DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP in accordance with the OASIS Technical Committee Process. The maintenance period will continue until the TC is Closed in accordance with Section 2.15 of the OASIS Technical Committee Process. During the maintenance period, in addition to any Approved Errata that may be adopted, the TC will deliver updated DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP specifications, or any combination thereof, as revised OASIS standards, to address the following, if required:
- Update the references in DPWS to WS-Eventing, WS-MetadataExchange, and WS-Transfer specifications to reference the W3C Recommendation version of those specifications, and profile those specifications as necessary to accommodate changes included in them;
- Update the reference in DPWS to WS-I Basic Profile Version 1.1 specification to reference the WS-I Basic Profile 2.0 specification, if that specification is approved in WS-I prior to or at approximately the same time as approval of the relevant W3C Recommendations produced by the W3C WS-ResourceAccess Working Group;
- Incorporate Substantive Changes resulting from (a) reconsideration of technical issues originally introduced to the TC prior to approval of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications but deferred for later consideration, (b) resolution of specification ambiguities or flaws identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing of elements of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications; and (c) further specification profiling, clarification, and enhancing of security in DPWS identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing; and,
- Incorporate previous Approved Errata and other corrections, clarifications and editorial changes that are not Substantive Changes.
The purpose of the Web Services Discovery and Web Services Devices Profile (WS-DD) Technical Committee is to define:
- A lightweight dynamic discovery protocol to locate web services that composes with other Web service specifications;
- A binding of SOAP to UDP (User Datagram Protocol), including message patterns, addressing requirements, and security considerations; and
- A profile of Web Services protocols consisting of a minimal set of implementation constraints to enable secure Web service messaging, discovery, description, and eventing on resource-constrained endpoints.
The TC will accomplish this purpose through continued refinement of the Web Services Discovery (WS-Discovery) specification, SOAP-over-UDP specification, and Devices Profile for Web Services (DPWS) specification submitted to the TC.
- Issues Database (JIRA)
- Issues List (prior to conversion to JIRA)
- Issues Submission Process (prior to conversion to JIRA)
- Committee Draft 2 of Devices Profile for Web Services
- Committee Draft 2 of WS-Discovery
- Committee Draft 2 of SOAP-over-UDP
- Committee Draft 3 of Devices Profile for Web Services
- Committee Draft 3 of WS-Discovery
- Committee Draft 3 of SOAP-over-UDP
- Committee Draft 4 of Devices Profile for Web Services
- Committee Draft 4 of WS-Discovery
- Committee Specification 1 of Devices Profile for Web Services
- Committee Specification 1 of WS-Discovery
- Committee Specification 1 of SOAP-over-UDP
- OASIS Standard version of Devices Profile for Web Services
- OASIS Standard version of WS-Discovery
- OASIS Standard version of SOAP-over-UDP
The WS-DD Technical Committee conducts most of its work by email. The committee email list is firstname.lastname@example.org. Only members of the TC may send email on this list, but the archive of messages sent on the list may be viewed at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-dd.
Persons who are not members of the TC may submit feedback on specifications and other work of the committee through the Comments email list.
The WS-DD Technical Committee holds weekly teleconferences at 8:00 AM Pacific Time on Tuesday. These scheduled teleconferences are not held during weeks when the TC is having a face-to-face meeting (but it is possible to dial into the face-to-face meeting). The weekly calls may also be cancelled from time to time for holidays or other reasons. See the Calendar for cancellations and logistical details.
Providing Feedback: OASIS welcomes feedback on its technical activities from potential users, developers, and others to better assure the interoperability and quality of OASIS work.