< Return to Calendar

* XLIFF TC call
Name * XLIFF TC call
Time Tuesday, 15 January 2019, 11:00am to 12:00pm EST
(Tuesday, 15 January 2019, 04:00pm to 05:00pm UTC)
Description

New dial-in link at this action item.

 

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=3921

Minutes

Agenda

Attendance: Lucía, Bryan, David, Yves, Tom, Phil.

I. Administration
B: I move to approve December 18, 2018 meeting minutes
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201812/msg00007.html

Df: I second.

B: Meetings minutes approved.

II. Where do we go next?
A. XLIFF 2.X or 3.0 wiki space for new features (Bryan)
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/FeatureTracking

Feature tracker

B: We do not have some of the owners (Phil and Steven).

I have looked at the LISA, but not enough to provide a proposal.

We can talk about to get more XLIFF movement.

Df: I will be talking in a conference, it will be mainly about JLIFF, but XLIFF will be mentioned of course.

B: I can think of things we can do to promote XLIFF. I am very close to have a new release to the DITA-XLIFF roundtrip, in Github. I will announce it once it is done. Any other ideas? Having Ms onboard again?

Df: The problem that the organisation of Ms that worked with XLIFF does not longer exist. And the xliff tc participants are no longer in that division nor involved.

Df: I was trying to get some involved through GALA. We tried to get somebody involved to maintain the data model. They are using heavily XLIFF 2.0, but there is no longer a leadership to drive it forward.

B: I know they wanted to productise and added to VS.

Df:Yes, but I think they retracted those features.

B: Rodolfo released some resources.

Df: He released a validation tool. We discussed about the schematron.

B/Df: Welcome back, Yves. It is good to hear you back.

Y: Thank you, sorry for not making it to the latest meetings.

L: The article David F. published is very good and informative. Congrats. https://magazine.multilingual.com/issue/jan-feb-2019dm/localization-standards-reader-4-0/

Df: Thank you for mention it. This time it has attracted some attention.

Df: We have Phil on the call.

Ph: After discussion before Christmas, I think I should withdraw my proposal (Change Tracking Module). I have too many things.

Df: Is it a capacity issue? You keep arguing that there were some use cases, like posteding.

Df: Bryan, could you share your screen with the features?

ISO approval
Df: We need to make some progress on the 2.1 ISO submission. Tom might be able to report on that.

T: I have an update, but no usable microphone. I'm awaiting response from Ken Holman. I sent him a summary of my analysis of the reported errors with our XLIFF source files. Some questions and needed clarifications for how the conversion handles some things. Overall, I can programmatically identify all but one of the reported 823 errors and I also have scriptable solutions to most of the issues for which I don't otherwise have questions. I expect there will be little direct editorial work. When I get some of the answers, I'll do a test update of our files and ask for Ken to run the process again. He's previously said he's amenable to multiple iterations if needed.

Df: Ideally we will be able to initiate the ballot before the next plenary in Summer.

----

Df: I will be transferring the rendering paper I presented at Asling 2018. I will upload it to the library. Allison will upload the extraction-merging best practices document. I do not know if you want to make it an appendix or a section. I can go through the ideas that we expose on the rendering requirements.

B: that sounds like a good use of time.

Df: [David goes through the document of his paper presented at Asling]. I did it with Ján, he might join the TC soon, hopefully. When you have transparent rendering requirements, it helps the democratisation and better display of resources. It is a good companion to the extraction and merging best practices. We show the current tabular layout, that displays very little metadata.  We suggest a more complex rendering, that conveys the structure (figure 2 of the paper). Other are monolingual views (good for previews) (figures 3 and 4). Also interlinear layout (figure 5). In figure 6, we present a modular tabular representation with metadata information. Figure 7 and 8, an example of a dialog box and how it can be represented. Figure 12 represents a use case of the order attribute, the alphabetical order, you need to reorder the segment in the segment element. Other representations are in following figures. We also provide guidance on how to display the translate:no,  also ways to represent bold and italics across the segments (figures 17,18). Figure 19, Steven had a similar proposal for semantic domains for variables. In this case, you are displaying the user name. Guidance on how to display hotkeys. Guidance on how to display ITS metadata, the guidance is a way to have a way of not display everything at the same time.

For in-context preview, we use the Resource data module. Ján designed a very complex scenario where you can locate the SLR. This is something that we have not foreseen, but it is combining the capabilities of the modules.

L: To me, this is the most interesting part of the paper, which is something that translators are always in need. In-context translation.

Df: That is right.

B: Very useful.

Df: it is mainly Ján’s work. The idea is to adapt all this work to XLIFF. I think that rendering is a missing guidance.

Df: My pending AI are uploading the rendering paper and I am working with Allison so she can submit the extracting/merging paper

 

 


III. Subcommittee and sister TC reports
A. Promotion and Liaison SC
B. XOMOS - Sister TC

Ph: I might have missed the last meeting.

Df: We had a checking meeting. The biggest news is that we are going to present JLIFF paper. We are using the prefix syntax for modules.

Ph: I came together quite nicely, and it quite mature. I have tried to have my library updated with the latest changes in the schema. So far, it looks pretty good.

Df: Do you have a screen where you can demonstrate?

Ph: Sure, One of the things that I go with the library is just a little converter that you can load a XLIFF file and it will be converted to JLIFF. [Phil demonstrates his tool, he uploads a xliff file and gets it converted to JLIFF]. I have not had the time to do the other way around (JLIFF to XLIFF).  https://github.com/vistatec/JliffGraphTools

Df: Thank you, that is very useful.

Ph: there quite a few ideas floating around there.

Df: About JLIFF, we might see public reviews in the next quarter.

Df: Meeting adjourned.

 

 



Agenda

I. Administration
  A. Approve December 18, 2018 meeting minutes
  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201812/msg00007.html

II. Where do we go next?
  A. XLIFF 2.X or 3.0 wiki space for new features (Bryan)
    https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/FeatureTracking

  B. TM Profile note

  C. ISO approval
 
III. Subcommittee and sister TC reports
 A. Promotion and Liaison SC
 B. XOMOS - Sister TC

IV. New business



Submitter Bryan Schnabel
GroupOASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
Access This event is visible to OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC and shared with
  • OASIS Open (General Membership)
  • General Public