Table of contents
OASIS is an open, international organization, developing and driving the adoption of standards for the global community. Each OASIS Technical Committee selects a language in which it will conduct its work.
To facilitate global adoption, we welcome efforts to provide OASIS Standards, relevant specifications and documents in as many languages as possible. As a non-profit organization, we rely on the support of members and other parties to provide or fund unofficial translations that enable communities around the world to understand and implement OASIS work.
We invite you to volunteer to translate or fund the translation of an OASIS Standard, specification or document into another language. You may work alone or together with others in the community. To begin:
- Select the document you would like to translate. If you are uncertain whether the selected document has already been translated into the desired language, or whether the document is currently being translated, please consult the Available Translation List.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we can coordinate, promote and provide support for your efforts.
- Subscribe to the publicly archived email list, email@example.com, to discuss questions you have during the translation process or enlist the support of other volunteers in translating large specifications.
If you have already translated an OASIS Standard, specification or document into another language, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we may direct others to your work and promote your contribution by posting it on our site or providing a link to yours.
Translators of OASIS documents must comply with the following requirements:
- Inform OASIS of your intent to translate a document by emailing notification to email@example.com and subscribing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your notification should:
- be provided in English for OASIS tracking purposes;
- include a provisional/proposed URL for the location of your translation and for any other project URLs related to the translated work;
- provide a permanent contact address including email and phone; and
- indicate that you have read the OASIS Translation Policy and that you agree to its terms.
- Translate the document. At the beginning of your translation, include the following disclaimer notice in both English and the language of your translation:
"This translated document is provided by <YOUR NAME/ORGANIZATION> as an informational service to the global community. This is an unofficial, non-normative translation of the official document, <DOC NAME>, located at <OASIS URL>, Copyright © OASIS Open <insert date of the OASIS copyright from original document>. This translation is published with acknowledgement of and in agreement with terms specified in the OASIS Translation Policy. Neither OASIS nor <YOUR NAME/ORGANIZATION> assume responsibility for any errors contained herein."
- Ensure that your document is a faithful translation of the OASIS document and that normative changes are not made to any part of the document including the status, contributors, or appendices.
- Notify both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org when you have completed and published the translation, so that we may direct others to your work. Your notification should contain the URL where your translation is published and the following statement:
<YOUR NAME/ORGANIZATION> have translated <OASIS DOCUMENT> into <LANGUAGE> as a service to the community. This translation is publicly accessible at <URL>. <YOUR NAME/ORGANIZATION> have read the OASIS Translation Policy and agreed to its terms. We also agree to the redistribution terms of the OASIS copyright notice. We acknowledge that this translation may be republished by OASIS or other entities if it is done in compliance with the terms of the notice and that OASIS may rescind our right to publish or distribute the derivative work if OASIS finds that it leads to confusion regarding the original document's status or integrity. <YOUR NAME/ORGANIZATION> acknowledges that the copyright of any translations of OASIS copyrighted documents are owned by OASIS."
- Share constructive feedback on the source document. Your insights on clarity and consistency are valuable to OASIS. Email any observations you have to the chair of the OASIS TC responsible for the document you have translated. (Contact information is posted on each TC's web page.)
- Send an archive copy of the translation (ZIP or tgz package formats are preferable) to email@example.com. This archive copy will not be directly viewable but will serve as a backup copy in case the material on the external (non-OASIS) server becomes inaccessible.
- Notify OASIS if at any time you undertake a major update to your translation or if the URL changes.
Several features of this OASIS Translation Policy have been inspired by or adapted from the World Wide Web Consortium Translation Policy. OASIS gratefully acknowledges support received from W3C management in the design of our policy and is pleased to build upon the experience of W3C in managing translated specifications.